Well, it runs......kinda...

1slow95

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
ohio
I was able to fire up the 418 tonight! :banana: But I ran into a couple issues. First, it ran for about 5 minutes, then the temp jumped N to L and the upper radiator hose popped off. I put a new clamp on the hose, and left the cap off the radiator and tried it again. This time I got about 15 minutes out of it, then the #2 spark plug wire caught on fire :damnit:. So what can I do keep that from happening again? Im thinking about wrapping the plug wires with header wrap. :shrug:

The good news is seemed to run great! It had a bit of a miss to it, but two of the spark plug wires fell off so I figured that's what caused it. It sounds just completely bada$$! :drool: :hail2: Once I get the bugs worked out, I'll post up a sound clip. :nice:

Now, Comp Cams recommends you to run the car at 2000-2500 rpm's for 25-30 minutes, change the oil, then go through the normal new engine break in procedure. Since I only got around 15-20 minutes of run time, what should I do???

And here's a pic of the finished engine. It really needs cleaned up since antifreeze went everywhere when the hose popped off.
100_0664.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

I'm sure it sounded sick with open Long tubes.... :D Congrats on a task well done...Its runs...always a good thing...

Try the Liverwires....these have a heat-resistant glass braided covering...they can hi the headers and it wont touch em...Plus they'll look badass on that motor.... :D 100.00 a set...plus the looms are like 40.00 set
built_1.jpg

Where can I get those Livewires? So, they can rest against the headers and not have a problem? Are the plug ends angled? That #2 header tube is in the way so straight plug boots wont work, and apparently the angled ones aren't quite good enough either...

BTW, It has full exhaust! :D
100_0662.JPG

Here....Yes the boots are like the stock ones, 90 deg bend or so....I set the looms so as the keep em from directly laying on the headers...some have slid over and hit, but never caused any harm as I could see...I mean I wouldn't latem on the tubes...
Summit has some 6" lenghts, in kits, of plug wires protectors too, looks like header wrap material.....check them out...may be a better/cheaper option for you...

10k...Sweet..I cant wait to build something like that....hopefully it'll be streetable...I'm sure you'll keep us updated... :D

http://www.performancedistributors.com/livewire.htm

Low-5.0 said:
Now, Comp Cams recommends you to run the car at 2000-2500 rpm's for 25-30 minutes, change the oil, then go through the normal new engine break in procedure. Since I only got around 15-20 minutes of run time, what should I do???

Sounds like you could be running a flat tappit cam with that kind of talk......

If that is the case, the concern is that you could get a flat lobe by not sticking to their break in procedure.

Later
Grady

final5-0 said:
Sounds like you could be running a flat tappit cam with that kind of talk......

If that is the case, the concern is that you could get a flat lobe by not sticking to their break in procedure.

Later
Grady

No, it's a hydraulic roller cam...Maybe I read the instructions wrong??? It wouldn't be the first time :rlaugh:

mootang said:
the temp problem might have something to do with the kink in the upper radiator hose. or you might just need to purge the system.

I think it just has air in it. The temps were back under control after removing the radiator cap and working some air out of it. Also, I think my dad had the timing way off because we had trouble starting it, probably due to the spark plug wire that fell off, and he also had the timing light on the #3 wire :rlaugh:.

mootang said:
oops! i forgot to tell you how jelous i am!

that engine looks amazing and i can't wait to see some track times.

what kind of horsepower and torque are you expecting?

We keep posting at the same time lol :rlaugh:

Thanks man, my estimates for power are(guessing a little high) around 450RWHP/500RWTQ. It should make at LEAST 425/475