Wet Floor Pans

robbz28

Sep 23, 2009
Epps, LA
Ok, I just got my 67 coupe all put back together last weekend, new paint, weatherstrip, interior, the works.....we got a little rain last night and my car was sitting on the trailer still, but i go outside and my drivers front floorpan is soaked and my passenger rear floorpan is soaked. I suspect the weatherstrip between the door and quarter glass for the passenger dilemma, but the drivers side boggles me big time. I shaved my cowl...there is no way water can get in from there.....the water seems to be coming in and dripping from the bottom of my dash onto my kick panel, then into the carpet......anyone had any of these problems? My only plan is to sit in my car while the wife hits it with a waterhose and look and feel for leaks, im open to suggestions. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

robbz28,
Sounds like the seal around the windshield or the same seal to the body. One other thought, is the front of the car sitting "up" as it's on the trailer? I realize you "shaved" the cowl, but I believe there may be other ways in for water such as screw holes etc. Also, was the bottom piece of your cowl rusted and is that one of the reasons you "shaved" it? Might also be the wiper transmission gaskets.
Keep Us Posted,
Gene

Wiper gaskets....thats a good thought. And yes the car is nosed up on the trailer and I havent replaced the cowl to hood seal, so there are several holes there the water could have came in. I never checked the wiper gaskets, ill affix the cowl seal and see what that does for me. The cowl was pretty rusty on the drivers side, beyond a "hat" fix, so thats why I shaved it. The passenger side was in great shape. But anyway, i will see what happens....considering getting my buddy to spray the trunk and floor pans with bedliner, just for extra insurance.
I feel confident about my windshield seal, its brand new and I put butyl sealant inside the glass groove and then I packed it in between the body and the seal, it squished out from under the trim when I snapped it back in place, made a Holy mess though.

I feel confident about my windshield seal, its brand new and I put butyl sealant inside the glass groove and then I packed it in between the body and the seal, it squished out from under the trim when I snapped it back in place, made a Holy mess though.

You'd think, but I had a professional glass installer who does a lot of classic mustangs do mine and it didn't seal the first time. I could not believe after my cowl repair and was even more surprised to see that it was coming from the seal.

I don't think the wife and water hose plan is a bad one.

One more thing I forgot to mention is that I do not have the wiper arms installed yet....i know they dont really seal off anything, but they do cover up that space between the cowl and wiper lugs somewhat. So water could have gotten in there as well. Some good news though, my trunk area was bone dry, no water seemed to leak around my back glass or my rear trunk seal. I have several cardboard boxes full of miscellaneous crap in the trunk and the bottoms of every box were bone dry.