what cam & 4bbl intake are you guys using?

maxine1970

Mar 16, 2004
louisville KY
I am preparing to build a 5.0 for my 86 GT convertible. It has a new TKO 5 speed and 3.27 posi rear. I am building a 96 explorer shortblock and GT40 (not the p heads) heads. It will have approximately 9.5-9.8 compression ratio. The crank and rods will be stock.
I was wondering what cam to use with this combo. Its a roller engine, of course. The car is a street driver and will never see the track, but I want a fun toy that pulls HARD in low and mid ranges. I rarely take it to 5 grand, but I dont want it to fall on its face either if I occasionally choose to go to 5 or 6 grand. No way will it ever see over 6000rpm, and rarely over 5000. I want at least decent fuel economy too. And I'd like a mild lope, but nothing REALLY wild. I plan on having the heads decked .015, so I expect a cc size of about 62 or so. The heads are iron. The headers are MAC equal shorties.
I am also wondering, what are the best aluminum four barrel intakes? I assume for my intentions to go with a good dual plane intake. Any specific ones you've tried and recommend/disapprove?
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I suggest an Edelbrock Performer RPM with a Comp Cams XE cam. An XE 256, 262 or 268 or similar in roller form would seem perfect.

I have both the intake and an XE256 flat tappet cam and love them!