what clutch/pressure plate should i use ?

bt-350

May 16, 2005
i have a 66 fastback with a 66 289 engine that should produce 300 hp plus easily. it has a toploader 4 speed . now i am trying to decide which clutch and pressure plate to use. will a 66 flywheel take a 10 inch and 10.5 inch clutch or am i stuck with one size ? the clutch and pp that was originally on the flywheel was a 10 inch . any help ?????

• Sponsors (?)

When I was building the stroker, I asked what clutch to use. Heard nothing negative about the Centerforce Dual Friction so that is what I went for. :nice:

Sorry I can't answer you size question as I am set up for an 11"--perhaps you might check directly with the manufacturer of choice.

Zoom , Hays and Centerforce are all good brands! And you can go up to 10 1/2 with the stock 157 tooth flywheel If you want to go 11" and need to change the flywheel to a 164 tooth! Make sure you have the flywheel either redone or buy a new one when doing the Clutch and pressur plate! And do the throw out bearing also.

actually im in a simalar boat than you are but going tho other way.

when i did a mII conversion on my falcon i also changed to a 4 speed th only bell housing i had at the time(aluminum 164 tooth)wouldnt clear the firewall, so i went junkyard searching the only one i could find(all 157 tooth were gone) was an old cast iron bell for a truck. but it fit. also found an old flywheel. went to napa asked to look at the clutch book, and found the 11' long type fit the application , also noticed this is the same clutch the fe's and big blocks use. when it as all put togeather i judged this to be the best "feeling" clutch ive ever had and it was also easy to push, WTF!! i always thought diaphram clutches were the cream of the crop.

but now i have a problem im switching my 289 for 5.0 and need to install a different clutch and flywheel. i have the 164 50oz flywheel and an 11 inch diaphram(bought it new and removed it right away napa wouldnt take it back i drove on it too long,)that releases 1\2 an inch from the floor with minimal freeplay

ashford said:
actually im in a simalar boat than you are but going tho other way.

when i did a mII conversion on my falcon i also changed to a 4 speed th only bell housing i had at the time(aluminum 164 tooth)wouldnt clear the firewall, so i went junkyard searching the only one i could find(all 157 tooth were gone) was an old cast iron bell for a truck. but it fit. also found an old flywheel. went to napa asked to look at the clutch book, and found the 11' long type fit the application , also noticed this is the same clutch the fe's and big blocks use. when it as all put togeather i judged this to be the best "feeling" clutch ive ever had and it was also easy to push, WTF!! i always thought diaphram clutches were the cream of the crop.

I too could rave about the 11" long (3 finger) clutch I had behind my 351. It was so gentle on the leg and yet hooked up like a mother.

I went with a Dual friction when I built the stroker and it is even gentler--hardly any resistance at all and still hooks up like a mother. :banana: