What details have you noticed on the 2005 V8 Stang?

351CJ

Dec 11, 2002
I've been looking over the high res. photos and corral photos and I've noticed a large # of detail changes to the 2005 V8 Mustang. That is beyond the obvious things like "the mufflers are in the back".

Here are some of the things I've picked up, what else have the rest of you seen?

1. The intake plenum is really high and there is huge empty space below it. It looks like you can cook your dinner in there on the way home or keep your take out pizza warm in there. :D

2. The cone air filter is gone. In its place is a HUGE panel air filter and a HUGE intake air box.

3. There are only 2 cats.

4. The O2 sensors go into the cats not into the H pipe after the cats.

5. The first 02 sensor on the driver's side screws into the exhaust manifold.

6. Those sweeping exhuast manifold make it look like aftermarket shorties will be a total waste of money.

7. The oil filter is right at the front of the engine, maybe we'll be able to change the filter w/o spilling oil over the steering rack and cross member.

8. There are shock tower braces in the engine bay.

9. The front springs are up on the struts and not on the lower control arms.

10. There is not a traditional U-joint where the driveshaft meets the differential and there is some sort of flex coupling at the 2 piece driveshaft junction.

11. The engine oil drain plug is at the very rear of the oil pan. Looks like it we'll be sure to get all the oil out of the pan when the front wheels are up on ramps.

12. The electrical fuse / relay box in the engine compartment is HUGE. Must be a lot of electronics in it.

13. It's filled with gold (long life) coolant.

• Sponsors (?)

Yep, those are interesting things. Hehe.... the front suspension is a MacPherson strut setup.... and I assume 2 cats is a good thing.... and the shorty thing is probably true, too... looks like damn good manifolds... and I think the air gap in the intake (if there is one? I haven't looked that closely), is probably to make the intake charge cooler, which means more power :)

-Michael

I get the feeling the production will not have 2 cats. I have no information to back this up from any source but my gut feeling is the production verson will have 4 just like the current mustangs. I think the reson for two cats and no resonators was for demonstration and marketing purposes. Someone please tell me i'm wrong.

Mach428 said:
I get the feeling the production will not have 2 cats. I have no information to back this up from any source but my gut feeling is the production verson will have 4 just like the current mustangs. I think the reson for two cats and no resonators was for demonstration and marketing purposes. Someone please tell me i'm wrong.

You're wrong :D

siege said:
am I wrong, or are the bolts for the headers on the top and bottom of each tube? seems like it might be a PITA to swap headers or replace a gasket

Yes, it certainly looks like the exhaust manifold studs are straight up & down (directly above and below the exhuast ports) instead of turned at about a 20 degree angle as on past 2V & 4V heads.

Good observation. :nice:

The exhuast ports also look D shaped to me instead of fully round. I'd have to see them side by side, but the 3V head exhaust ports look larger than on the 2V heads.

RodStang said:
There is a fake gas cap on the back of the car. Does that mean it will also simulate an explosion if someone rear-ends it?

Thank you for finally making me learn my lesson. I will NEVER again attempt to have a serious discussion on StangNet.. :bang: :bang: :bang:

By the way, how many of you have noticed that all those beautiful photos that Ford has provided of the insides of the 2005 Mustang, the suspension, steering, rear axle, overhead view of the engine, exhuast, suspension, etc. and even the engine images are not photos of real parts. They are solid model CAD renderings. :doh:

351CJ said:
Thank you for finally making me learn my lesson. I will NEVER again attempt to have a serious discussion on StangNet.. :bang: :bang: :bang:

By the way, how many of you have noticed that all those beautiful photos that Ford has provided of the insides of the 2005 Mustang, the suspension, steering, rear axle, overhead view of the engine, exhuast, suspension, etc. and even the engine images are not photos of real parts. They are solid model CAD renderings. :doh:

I knew most were, but I seriously thought that a few of the interior pics looked real.

Some people are damned good at CAD.

351CJ said:
Yes, it certainly looks like the exhaust manifold studs are straight up & down (directly above and below the exhuast ports) instead of turned at about a 20 degree angle as on past 2V & 4V heads.

Good observation. :nice:

The exhuast ports also look D shaped to me instead of fully round. I'd have to see them side by side, but the 3V head exhaust ports look larger than on the 2V heads.

they used to be at a 20 degree angle? damn, I'm used to mine being straight across :)