What do I need for tranny/rear diff./gear fluid?

AdamantiumKnot

Founding Member
Sep 29, 2001
nj
I want to use royal purple for my tranny. I've got a 5 speed manual 98 gt. (t-45 right?)

What do I need to order and how much of it?
I've tried searching but I haven't found anything recent.

• Sponsors (?)

for the tranny (t-45) i used royal purple synchromax and it took like 3.5 quarts so I just ordered 4 from mustangtuning.com well now americanmuscle.com

they have it on sale right now and if you use stangnet in the discount part at checkout it gives you an extra 5% off. they also had the deal for 10% off if you used the code americanmuscle but not sure if thats still going on.

they have free shipping i belive too.

for mine i bought 4 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF for the trans, i forget how much i needed, but that was more than enough.

for the rear diff i bought 3 bottles of Mobil 1 75w90 (IIRC) and a bottle of the sperm whale oil(Limited slip additive). and poured that in until it came out the fill plug. i have an aftermarket diff cover so mine probably takes a bit more.

AdamantiumKnot said:
Okay, so I want 4 quarts of the synchromax and not the Max ATF fluid?

Should I get the 75w90 Gear Oil, too? If so, how much?
I would get Royal Purple synchromax if you have a T-45 transmission.
If you are changing your differential fluid also get Royal Purple gear
oil too. If your car has a 8.8" rear differential than it will take three
quarts but, get four quarts of gear oil just incase.

Prolly not what you want to hear, but I would suggest GM syncromesh fluid in that transmission and only suggest motorcraft synthetic 75w140 with ford friction modifier for an oem style limited slip differential.
Alan