what ford says about 5w20 over 5w30

a_k

Nov 12, 2004
Saratoga NY
So I had my uncle asked a few engineers at ford about this because my parents car 02 mountaineer has a 4.6L and ive been using 5w20 mobil 1. I think there answers are complete garbage. Here's what they said.

I am going to assume the customer has a 4.6L engine since he states using 5W-20 oil. It is best for the customer that he stays with 5W-20 oil to make sure he gets the best protection (and fuel economy) for his engine. 5W-30 should only be used with 4.0L engines in the Mountaineer. Below is what we state in owner guide:

"Use Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an equivalent 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A. SAE 5W-20 oil provides optimum fuel economy & durability performance meeting all requirements for your vehicle's engine".

Per your inquiry here is the answer. In layman's terms your brother should stick with the 5W-20 weight oil since that's what specified and what the engine was tested with. The 5W-30 is going to have a higher viscosity when the engine is cold and therefore may not provide ample lubrication during critical start time. :nonono: That may result in accelerated wear or eventually possible engine failure in the worse case. Both oils have the same viscosity when warm but from what I recall the 4.6 modular is a rather tight engine that requires the 20 weight in cold engine start up in lower ambient. Bottom line is use what we recommend.

• Sponsors (?)

Ford recommended 5W20 for my 03 Cobra, yet all the tolerances inside the engine are exactly the same as the motor in an '01 Cobra? So why did they make the switch from 5W30 in 2001 to 5W20 in 2003?

one reason and one reason only....

Overall C.A.F.E. Ratings

Ask any certified Tribologist.

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
Ford recommended 5W20 for my 03 Cobra, yet all the tolerances inside the engine are exactly the same as the motor in an '01 Cobra? So why did they make the switch from 5W30 in 2001 to 5W20 in 2003?

Overall C.A.F.E. Ratings

U.M.
cafe? like latte? :shrug:

ummm, are these the same engineers that designed the 4.6, 5.4 and 6.8 to be "Modular":rolleyes: one thing I've learned about engineers, listen to every other word they say, read from right to left and then form your own opinion. I deal wth wth Ford engineers just about every day:( :eek: :bang:

In an OHC engine it is critical to get the oil up top as quickly as possible to prevent lobe wear. The lighter oil will do this better in lower operating temps. Also, it doesn't hurt to use a light weight when trying to make HP. I am a drag racer from another era (B hotrod record holder 1971:jaw: ) Back then everone used 50w in there big blocks. We knew a "trick"; use the thinnest oil that you can maintain pressure at. For most it won't matter which you use but things change and lighter is the way to go. You know we used to make HP running 160 thermostats or no thermostat but it is the opposite with new engine technology. Being able to evolve is the key to survival. Don't get stuck.:nono:

yeah I deffinatly don't know alot about engines but I always thought 5w20 and 5w30 have the same viscosity when cold. They said 5w30 has a higher viscosity when cold therefore you need the 5w20 when cold:shrug:

Yeah 5w20 and 5w30 have the same viscosity when cold (5). The guy in the email was thinking backwards.

The thing I've been wondering about is, on the BITOG forums, people refer to more than one type of 5w30 Motorcraft.. SL and SM or something. Apparently one is a synth blend, and one is not. 5w20 is itself a synthetic blend.. so if you're running regular 5w30, you're not getting that extra bit of protection the synthetic offers. In addition, Ford isn't bull****ting when they say you should run what they tested the engines with.

Ever watch a real oil pressure gauge on 5w20? I live in Arizona, 120+ degrees in summer. My hot idle oil pressure on the hottest day of the year stuck in traffic is still above 25, and my driving oil pressure is nearly 75 most of the time. I highly doubt the extra few psi that 5w30 would give me at hot idle would be worth any more protection than the 5w20 is.. especially if it's not a synthetic blend. "Run whatever oil is thinnest and still maintains good hot idle pressure." I am, and I'm fine with the pressure I have.

Hopefully somebody who knows the difference between these 2 5w30 Motorcraft oil's I'm refering to could chime in.

Again, it's just for CAFE. Ford found they could squeeze out an extra 0.25 MPG per vehicle if they changed to 5w-20.

However, none of the engine tolerances were changed from the days of 5w-30 oil, so engineeringwise the engine was designed with 5w-30 in mind and then discovered that it would be safe with 5w-20

I personally run 5w-30 since i would rather use what the engine was designed for

I think what some of the people reading this with newer mustangs may not know is that the owners manual for the '99 and 00 models recomended 5w30 and '01+ recomended 5w20. Also as far as I have heard there has been no TSA from Ford changing the 5w30 recomendation for the '99 and '00 models.

Ike

Uncle Meat said:

Overall C.A.F.E. Ratings

U.M.

This is exactly the correct answer. I'd stick to the tried and truw 5w-30.