What intake manifold would you run for this combo??

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Tossing some ideas for an engine setup around. Wondering what intake would give me the most HP with this combo.

Stock 302/306 lower end
TFS Twisted Wedge HEads
TFS Stage 1 camshaft

Then there would be the mix of supporting mods. 24# injectors, LArger MAF and custom tune, adjustable AFPR, pullies, etc and all that.

Just wondering about the top of the engine. I have a Cobra Intake and 65MM TB, but i'm wondering if that would give it the most potential. I was debating finding a GT-40 upper along with a 70mm TB and porting the lower Cobra Intake, but would an aftermarket intake/70mm TB setup give better numbers?? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

the cobra intake and the gt40 flow damn near exact. i saw a dyno chart somewhere that tested a cobra/gt40/explorer and they all came within 2-3hp of each other.

if you have TF heads and cam why not get a matching intake. TF top end kits have been proven time after time.

edit: yes it would have better numbers with a TF upper/lower intake. gt40 based intakes are engineered more towards torque

if you have TF heads and cam why not get a matching intake. TF top end kits have been proven time after time.

Honestly, the main reason i want to stick with the Cobra/Gt-40 setup is visual appeal. I just love the style and look of the Cobra.

However, if there is power to be gained by switching...i wouldn't hesitate.

I just want to see if i can make what i have work first.

it would "work" but i have personally seen a 20+hp gain on iron gt40 headed, stock cammed motor when switching to a TF intake from a china made cobra intake that is designed for those heads.

so i know a motor with better heads and a cam should see way more. especially with an intake designed to work around the components you already have.

True true.

I wonder what I could get for a true (non-China) Cobra intake on Ebay :)

I may stick with the Cobra for now and swap at a later date. I also was toying with the idea of forced induction on top of all that.

I haven'tt bought any of the components yet...so i may change my mind again.

So...should I jut buy this and call it a day??

http://www.texashotrods.com/storefr....aspx?sfid=70952&i=223841726&mpid=5320&dfid=1

I haven't decided on my lower end yet. I think i'd like to do a 331 setup. My stock bottom end has 106K miles but compression is good and crosshatching is all there, but i'm not sure i'd want to use it.

I do eventually want to toss a blower on all this..but not at first. It may drive around a year or so N/A before that happens. I'm just worried about exceeding 400HP and blowing something up.

Who has good 331 short blocks that can take up to 500HP?

Get thee cobra. Have Tmoss port the lower for you. It makes a very noticeable differnce.

Port the cobra lower and keep the stock cobra upper. That will work fine.

If you want a stroker, go 347 and talk to Rick91GT, let him build it. He did mine almost 3yrs ago!

I have the Cobra intake and have around 500 crank HP. It helps with torque down low.

Click here to see my thread with my dyno sheet and supporting mods.

I think you will be just fine if you port the lower manifold and gasket match the upper.

Edit: Page three is where the dyno sheet is, I believe page two is where the mods are listed. Stock bottom end, 96,000 miles.