What is a T50 D Transmission?

topless98gt

Adhesive Feces
Mar 31, 2005
Arlington, TX
DTNODYA and I are both wondering what a T50 D transmission is. Is it the same as a T-45? It shows in my Haynes that 98 GTs have T50 D transmissions, and DTNODYA said he read about them also in a service manual, but yet his 98 GT has a T-45...

Also, how can I tell if I have a T-45 or a T50 D? Thanks all :)

• Sponsors (?)

.... subscribing ......

Although I know that you have a T-45 in your car.

Here's a copy/paste type rundown:

The T5OD is a five-speed manual transmission containing the following features:

- A fifth speed gear which works as an overdrive gear.

- The first gear (1GR) through fourth gears and reverse gear are meshed within the case .

- The fifth speed gear and synchronizer are located on the back of the case in the extension housing .

- The first/second and third/fourth reverse gear shift rails are mounted in the case cover.

- The fifth-speed gear synchronizer and reverse idler gear and bushing are shifted through a reverse gearshift lever and mounted on a shift rail rear pin.

- A shift interlock system, located in the case cover, prevents engagement of more than one gear.

- The shift detent located in the extension housing turret, which consists of a detent plate, gearshift offset lever , shifter interlock spring and detent ball.

- All gears except reverse are synchronized and helical-cut for smooth, crisp shifts and quiet operation.

- The floor-mounted gearshift lever operates a reverse gear shift rail which extends from the extension housing turret to the shift cover.

- Reverse is provided through a reverse idler gear and bushing which slides along a reverse idler gear shaft to engage spur gears on the countershaft cluster gear and output and fifth gear drive shaft.

- The case is aluminum and all fasteners are metric.

t50dtransmissiontx0.jpg

The T-45:

The T45 is a five-speed manual transmission containing the following features:

- A fifth speed gear that functions as an overdrive gear.

- The first gear through fourth gears are meshed within the case.

- The reverse gear, fifth speed gear and synchronizer are located on the back of the case in the extension housing.

- The first/second and third/fourth shift rail is mounted in the case.

- The fifth-speed gear synchronizer and reverse geartrain are shifted through a reverse gearshift lever, activated by a shift rail.

- A shift interlock system, located in the case, prevents engagement of more than one gear.

- The shift detent is located in the extension housing turret. It consists of a detent plate, gearshift offset lever, detent spring and detent ball.

- All gears are helical-cut for smooth, crisp shifts and quiet operation.

- All forward gears are synchronized. Reverse operates through a constant-mesh-double disconnect system.

- The floor-mounted gearshift lever operates a main shift control shaft which extends from the extension housing into the case.

t45trannyqv5.jpg

:shrug:

Attachments

• t50dtransmissiontx0.jpg
    t50dtransmissiontx0.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 289
  • t45trannyqv5.jpg
    t45trannyqv5.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 236
stanggt97 thinks for clearing that up i wasnt sure. but i also heard that the t45 is a better trans then the 3650 i beleive to be in the newer cobras. around here the racers like it better cause there easier to find parts for and fix

stanggt97 thinks for clearing that up i wasnt sure. but i also heard that the t45 is a better trans then the 3650 i beleive to be in the newer cobras. around here the racers like it better cause there easier to find parts for and fix
Check this out...

T50D = T5
T45D = T45

T50D and T45D are the two transmissions mentioned in my Chilton (which I just picked up tonight, and am VERY thankful I did!) for 94-98 Mustangs.

EDIT: P.S. In my posts, the 0 is a zero, not an O. So [/B]T5 "Oh" D[/B] is incorrect. It is T5 "Zero" D, I believe. At least in both the Haynes and Chilton manuals, it's a Zero.

The T-5 was used in 83-95 Mustang V8's

For 1996, Ford went ot the t-45 but still used the T-5 for the V6's

In 2001, Ford went to the t-3650 and kept using the T-5 on the V6.

WHat trans is better out of the 3650 and t-45 is up to you. The 3650 is a stronger trans, but some say the t-45 shifts better. More parts are available for the older t-45, but give the 3650 a few years and it will have parts as well.

I have a 3650 in my GT and would rather have it over a t-45 anyday.