What Is Wrong With This Picture ???

1BAD50

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Feb 25, 2003
1986 LX Coupe...turned into 1989 LX Coupe...

Was 4cyl...

I believe there is something very wrong here...can you spot it ???
Fox-4.jpg

It maybe easily resolved...

And maybe not...

• Sponsors (?)

No triangulation supports on the A-arms?

Might be the perspective, but it looks like the engine is sitting very forward?

I admit, i'm stretching a bit. Nothing is jumping out at me. A hint maybe as to what you see?

No triangulation supports on the A-arms?

Might be the perspective, but it looks like the engine is sitting very forward?

I admit, i'm stretching a bit. Nothing is jumping out at me. A hint maybe as to what you see?
Very good !

Yes I believe the engine is quite forward...

How about the LMR solid mounts have been reversed and then placed in the rearmost slots in the UPR tube cross-member..(ie. also wrong)

If true...lifting the engine...swapping the mounts...correcting other under-hood consequentials might be too easy...

But why ???

Is that a T-5 back there? If so, how is the trans mount positioned?

It looks like the engine is a good 1-2" forward, but that would show up elsewhere as you'd have issue with the exhaust, have quite a big gap from the rear of the heads to the firewall and likely have issues bolting the trans up.

I found this pic online of a UPR k-member with a 302. Definitely looks like the oil pan relation is further back than in your pic

1638295698383.png

Last edited:
Is that a T-5 back there? If so, how is the trans mount positioned?

It looks like the engine is a good 1-2" forward, but that would show up elsewhere as you'd have issue with the exhaust, have quite a big gap from the rear of the heads to the firewall and likely have issues bolting the trans up.

I found this pic online of a UPR k-member with a 302.

1638295698383.png
In that pic the crossmember tube appears close to the rear sump...and the enginemount studs are in the front-most slots (ie. correct)...
I believe the floorpan has been cut for the shifter arm to come thru...Yes T5...

Attachments

• Pic8.jpg
    Pic8.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Pic10.jpg
    Pic10.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 72
This all started with an attempt to install a Contour fan assembly which would not fit...
Yes I have a Vortech on it...but it's supposed to go...
The driveshaft yoke appears to be "out" more than most...?
I took a measurement from the rearmost valve cover bolt to the firewall and compared to another 5.0 fox...within 1/2"...
The mount studs are confirmed by UPR to be in the wrong holes...
The vehicle shell came from Connecticut...hmmm...

Def. looks like those mounts are reversed. You are correct, the stud on the engine mount on both sides is supposed to be in the front slot, and the "pad" of the mount is suppose to sit on the k-member. Yours is in the rear slot and is flipped around, so the pad is overhanging the front of the mount.

I literally just put my engine in with the same UPR k-member and MM solid motor mounts.

20211127_132716.jpg

20211127_132711.jpg

Thanks for any and all input !

I'm going to attempt to get a measurement from the empty LMR motormount stud hole on the passenger side (which is where the stud would be if reversed from the other side) to the frontmost slot in the crossmember mount pad...

This would then tell the distance the motor would be set back from it's present location...right ?

Then I could get a clue as to how the setback would effect all points...

Def. looks like those mounts are reversed. You are correct, the stud on the engine mount on both sides is supposed to be in the front slot, and the "pad" of the mount is suppose to sit on the k-member. Yours is in the rear slot and is flipped around, so the pad is overhanging the front of the mount.

I literally just put my engine in with the same UPR k-member and MM solid motor mounts.

20211127_132716.jpg

20211127_132711.jpg
Thank you for those great pics !
Moving this thing back will result in numerous issues...fuel system...supercharger discharge thru inner fenderwell...etc...
Old Pic..new mass-air/related tubing...

Attachments

• 100_0670.JPG
    100_0670.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for any and all input !

I'm going to attempt to get a measurement from the empty LMR motormount stud hole on the passenger side (which is where the stud would be if reversed from the other side) to the frontmost slot in the crossmember mount pad...

This would then tell the distance the motor would be set back from it's present location...right ?

Then I could get a clue as to how the setback would effect all points...
I can tell you that the measurement from the middle of the rear mounting boss on the driver side of the engine, to the firewall right beside the reinforcement plate is exactly 11 inches on my setup (Measuring from the top of the mount). I would assume your engine mounts would be very close, if not the same as mine. Hopefully you'll be able to rework some fittings to be able to get everything to line back up in the engine bay!

1638302471194.png

Reactions: 1 user
I can tell you that the measurement from the middle of the rear mounting boss on the driver side of the engine, to the firewall right beside the reinforcement plate is exactly 11 inches on my setup (Measuring from the top of the mount). I would assume your engine mounts would be very close, if not the same as mine. Hopefully you'll be able to rework some fittings to be able to get everything to line back up in the engine bay!

1638302471194.png
Thanks again for your great effort...

I'll have to get it up on a lift to check that...headers...vacuum lines on the back of the Victor EFI upper...it's tight now...

5 years ago I checked out 400 foxbody mustangs on Craigslist...serious...there was nothing that had a build like this...ie. Renegade Race Mount Vortech...everything new...all the body panels...paint...driveline...everything...it's totally stripped like a race car...but it's not...I've had race cars...need's another $15,000-$20,000 to make consistent runs down a track...retired...just want to bang gears on the street

Nice ride you got go'n together...