What kind of cam is he running?

Rosco347

May 19, 2005
Just curious, but what kind of a cam would be used here to produce that kind of sound? My buddy has an e-cam in his 5.0 and when he get's on it, the rpms don't come up that fast.

example

Someone told me it's because it's a flat tappet cam vs. hydro roller. I would think it's duration or LSA.

• Sponsors (?)

I think you're hearing all three cars in that video, with no mufflers even. You'd have a hard time replicating that sound on your own :)

The fast revs most likely come from lightened engine components; an aluminum flywheel for example.

The speed at which an engine comes up through the rpm range is determined by power output (horsepower is a measurement of how quickly an engine can perform a given amount of work) and by gearing, not by the exhaust (other than its impact on the power output).

Dave-
:flag: :nice:

ddonaca351 said:
The speed at which an engine comes up through the rpm range is determined by power output (horsepower is a measurement of how quickly an engine can perform a given amount of work) and by gearing, not by the exhaust (other than its impact on the power output).

Dave-
:flag: :nice:

I believe he was talking about how fast it revved up in neutral, not under acceleration, since the cars in the video were on their way to their parking spots.

ron67fb said:
I believe he was talking about how fast it revved up in neutral, not under acceleration, since the cars in the video were on their way to their parking spots.

Damn work firewall.... :p

The same principal holds true.... the motor in neutral is trying to overcome the weight of its rotating assy. The more power the motor makes, the quicker (or crisper as I like to say) it will be. In the case of race motors they usually run the lightest of everything that they can get (and still live) cuz this frees up power. The motor is using up less of its power trying to overcome its own internal weight. ect.... so on.... but you get the idea.

DD
:flag: