Paint and Body What kind of primer for bare metal rust repair?

AnthonyA1234

Aug 17, 2020
Florida
I have a few patches of surface rust scattered around my floor pan so I will be grinding them all down to bare metal, priming, and painting them. I was wondering what would be the correct type of primer to use for something like this?

• Sponsors (?)

“Self Etching” primer for bare metal.
IMG_4989.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Doesn’t self etching primer need another layer of primer over it? Or can I just paint over the self etching?
Yes, according to the instructions you can paint over this primer.
I have done it both ways with no problems either way... Personally if its an area that I want a nicer finish, I cover the self etching with regular primer before paint...

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, according to the instructions you can paint over this primer.
I have done it both ways with no problems either way... Personally if its an area that I want a nicer finish, I cover the self etching with regular primer before paint...
Great, I’ll do that then. Yea that’s fine I don’t mind how the finish looks this is just for rust cleanup jobs around the floor pan and undercarriage. Thanks guys

Regular paint will not stick to bare metal, there are some products that claim can be sprayed on bare metal but never used them in automotive stuff, the color (paint) can be sprayed on the etching primer if you are looking for a smooth finish several coats of sanding primer and block sanding will work, most automotive paint will require a sealer/primer coat then color and so on, your floor pan bare metal needs self etching primer then several coats of paint, you want the paint kind of thick, carpet moves around and wears on the paint although it takes years.
Oh, and let it dry for a couple days or more before carpeting.
this will NOT be included on today's test.
Class dismissed :leaving:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Regular paint will not stick to bare metal, there are some products that claim can be sprayed on bare metal but never used them in automotive stuff, the color (paint) can be sprayed on the etching primer if you are looking for a smooth finish several coats of sanding primer and block sanding will work, most automotive paint will require a sealer/primer coat then color and so on, your floor pan bare metal needs self etching primer then several coats of paint, you want the paint kind of thick, carpet moves around and wears on the paint although it takes years.
Oh, and let it dry for a couple days or more before carpeting.
this will NOT be included on today's test.
Class dismissed :leaving:
I’ve been using the sem trim black aerosol can I had laying around for the paint. That’s fine right?