What mods can be done without voiding warranty?

jvm051

Apr 23, 2005
So I finally called a few dealerships to get on the wating list for the 06 GT's, Since I do not expect to have one in my hands anytime soon, I thought I would start trying to get some questions answered about mods. Before my last two cars (03 Toyota 4runner, and 01 Toyota Tacoma double cab), I owned a 93 lx notchback 5.0 and a 65 coupe. Both of these cars were easy to mod, and the 93's computer almost seemed to love mods. Since I started lurking It seems that the only thing you can do without a Tune is change the mufflers =0 hp and remove the hydrocarbon trap =5 hp?. Even if I was to swap to 4:10's it would need a tune to calibrate the speedo, thus voiding my warranty. I hope this next comment does not piss anyone off,but if the mustang was built by Toyota or Honda, I would not be so concerned about a warranty, since all you normally need to do is add oil, but this is a Ford and their track record has been less than stellar lately. I grew up Ford blue and fell in love with the mustang as a kid, and my mother-in-law is a engineer at Ford, but I spent alot of time under the hood of both of them. At the same time, my toyota's are borring cars. reliable, but dull. I would like to achieve 300 rwhp and leave the warranty intact, but this sounds impossible? At minium I would like to know if the K&N CAI really needs a tune to function properly, does the Bassani X pipe that goes on after the stock cats add anything other than empty cash flow, and does the Jet inline chip get rid of the throttle lag in the factory ECU. This way I could swap them before having to go into the dealership. I know this was a long post, so thanks for taking the time to read it.
P.S Beautiful cars people hope all of you are enjoying them... :cheers:

• Sponsors (?)

There are no mods that will void the entire warranty. If you install a tune and the tune causes something to fail, no warranty. If you install a shifter and for some weird reason the tranny fails and they link the shifter to the failure, no warranty. If you install a blower and the windows won't operate accordingly, it's under warranty. If that same blower is giving you torque beyond the differential or tranny limits and either one fails, they could most likely blame it on the blower. If the modification you do causes a failure, no warranty. This question has been asked a million times on this website and others. I figured I'd hammer it in so that others will be clear about the warranty. I'm sure you could search on here and find numerous threads related. If the mod is linked to the failure, no warranty.

Basically what he said, but at the same time all dealers are different and some will allow you to do some modifications like mine, letting me do some small stuff like 4.10's and exaust along with intake, ask your dealer and if he gives you a hard time find another. also, read about the lemon and warranty laws in your state so you can tell him if he gives you any problems i know the law too.
-mike

I wasn't going to go to that extent, but yes, some dealers will work with you. The service manager at my local dealership knows just about every mod I've done. He's told me that he'd work with me on just about anything. I did spread the stock differential, but didn't want to put in the OEM diff. He then mentioned to not ever expect anything if I have the car towed in with slicks and rubber lining the fenders. So....I then went to an Auburn Pro and ripped every spider gear on my 4th run. I'm now with a Detroit tru-trac which is great and borderline a spool.