What??? Mustang Hood Insulator

FortySix&2

Oct 24, 2001
Madison Wi
So I think I need to give up any hope of tracking OEM hood insulation. One new-old-stock piece just sold on eBay for $1,027.00. Can't justify spending that much when I could spend it on actual parts to improve the car's performance.

Still crossing fingers for someone to re-manufacturered a factory style one. I don't even care if they skip the running horse.

• Sponsors (?)

So I think I need to give up any hope of tracking OEM hood insulation. One new-old-stock piece just sold on eBay for $1,027.00. Can't justify spending that much when I could spend it on actual parts to improve the car's performance.

Still crossing fingers for someone to re-manufacturered a factory style one. I don't even care if they skip the running horse.
I searched high and low for one and only found one overseas which was an issue with customs and cost after shipping etc.

$1000??? Holy hell. I should have bought a few of them when i had the chance.

DDAA68F7-56F1-468B-A6DD-5974434E7723.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
I picked mine up a few years ago and was surprised they were still available then. It's just amazing to see how much the prices shoot up once Ford discontinues them.

I'm sitting on two NOS Motorcraft brass heater cores. One day i'll test the waters....

Reactions: 1 users
I feel your pain.

Have you not checked LMR?
No horse but a few decimal places to the left.
Yeah. LMR does sell a replacement but it isn't molded to the hood. I looked at a few pictures of it and I don't like the look. I am hoping maybe someday National Parts Depot or another reproduction vendor will make a more factory style one. Fingers crossed.

Or I will someday find one that doesn't cost half as much as I originally paid for the car in 98...

Other than the window sticker and dash emblem on the anniversary cars, this is the only place the running horse appeared, at least in 88-89.

What is it needed for (C here some guys don't even replace)? Will the paint peal its so hot under there? How is it pinned to the underside of the hood?
I'd just take some HVAC hard insulation board (same color, material, thickness as '70s style auto insul), get some new pins, cut it right size'n try that @ those prices...

My assumption is sound insulation mostly.

I ran for years without one. I only put a new OEM one on for asthetics. If I had to buy the generic cover or make one I wouldn’t bother

Mine was all chewed up by mice, I didn't even bother to look for a replacement... just ripped off what was left and tossed it in the trash. I rather like the look myself, it's also the best paint on the whole car. :p