What??? Mustang Hood Insulator

Mine was all chewed up by mice, I didn't even bother to look for a replacement... just ripped off what was left and tossed it in the trash. I rather like the look myself, it's also the best paint on the whole car. :p
Same here...... except I think it was quick work of some squirrels. Cause it was good one day and a few days later, along with some acorns deposited on the intake, and bad a few days later.
But anyway, I too like the look of the paint...... unless it’s an immaculate original!

• Sponsors (?)

I took mine off years ago and left it off.

Only reason i put a new one on was because at the time it was $100 or so so i figured it would be a nice touch.

Reactions: 1 user
I took mine off for some reason or another that I don't remember. Probably 18 year old logic. I would like one now cause I like the little bit of sound dampening it provides. I feel like the hood sound better when you shut it.

I took mine off for some reason or another that I don't remember. Probably 18 year old logic. I would like one now cause I like the little bit of sound dampening it provides. I feel like the hood sound better when you shut it.
A lot of 18yr old logic doesn’t compute in your 40’s and 50’s. Lol

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users
91BDC9C6-27B7-418A-A6C5-D38BA0FA6DB9.jpeg
At least the shipping is free lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Don't fret and just wait
If they are that expensive and are sought out enough someone will start making them
Just like Vintage Camaro and Mustang parts
You can find almost everything for the old ones now
79+ Fox bodies are just not old enough yet?

Reactions: 1 user
You guys may not know but Ford had a fix them before you can sell them TSB and ONP (owner notification program) to fix the hoods from delaminating.
The painted top plastic hood piece would delaminate from the metal hood and they were flying off at freeway speeds
The fix was to remove the hood insulation and 2 part epoxy glue the hell out of them then reinstall the insulation
They gave us new clips and that new at the time expensive push pump epoxy gun stuff
We had to reuse the insulation and it would be all buggered up after the clips removal
I do not remember which years were affected 94-96 maybe
Same as 1996 Taurus we had to add felt line weatherstrips before they could even sell them. The windshields were buffeting right the hell out of there

79+ Fox bodies are just not old enough yet?
fox = what I've been buyin for bout 15 yrs now. Gave up on the muscle & have been rehabin these ('78/88 +) since then. Good source of income, gettin in the 'classic car' status now. Soon I'll have to move up nother notch (each gen becomes unaffordable to me). Most said "poor business model. these new cropa kids aren't into cars." I have not found that to B true.

The problem is once you install it, the damn thing WILL have little tears in it after a little while. The radiator support brackets on mine wore through. I bought a new one probably 5 years ago and it still looks great aside from the couple little tears... but dropping 1k on another one and then it not being "perfect" if you actually drive the car is just crazy... to me :)

Yeah, I don’t see someone who drives the car buying these as they will get dirty fast. But folks buying these are most likely the type that just did a full strip and repaint and are putting the car back together with OE parts. These are the same folks dropping $3k on a set of oem headlights.

I will admit, I installed mine 3 years ago and put maybe 50 miles on the car and it still looks brandy new. Of course, I also paid $140 for the thing from Ford

Reactions: 1 users

@Noobz347

Not sure that will fit an areo. I could be wrong

Yeah, I dunno either. I just came across the thing. I don't know how well it will fit an 83-86 either (wonder why it doesn't include 79-82). hehe

Maybe somebody here will try it out and let us know.