What pistons, rods, and crank to use?

tx2000gt

May 27, 2005
I'm helping my buddy out building his engine, and I just wanted to know what people are using for engines bored .020 over.

Oh, he's looking to be using an HP TT setup, so he'll be pushing some high numbers when he lays into the boost.

• Sponsors (?)

I think I would run cobra forged crank, manley rods, and manley, ross, or diamond pistons.

you could also call companies like MPH, DSS, steen, foxlake, VT and get their take on all of it.

some of the companies make thier own rods and cranks.

have you priced out just buying a complete short block vs machining the stock block and building it?

Gearbanger 101 said:
I kept the stock crank since it good enough for all but the most serious horsepower or high RPM applications and added Diamond Pistons and Manley rods. Good for 600hp. :nice:
Bought them here....www.modularperformance.com

I am in the process of doing the same thing. I just got a romeo short block out of a tbird and getting ready to send the block to the machine shop. Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay to rebalance the crankhaft?

jstreet0204 said:
I am in the process of doing the same thing. I just got a romeo short block out of a tbird and getting ready to send the block to the machine shop. Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay to rebalance the crankhaft?
From what I understand, there is no need to rebalance the crank shaft. The rods and pistons are what need to be balanced to one and other with a modular assembly and since I bought them as a kit, it was already done for me. Apparently, the only time the crank needs to be balanced is with a stroker set up. :)

I have a stroker crank (Cobra i believe), Manley Platinum Series Forged Pistons, Manley Stroker Forged I Beam Rods. All from the Infamous Seanhyland Motorsports. Everything is great for me so far except I don't know what clutch and flywheel to buy for the 8 bolt crank.

TweekedGT said:
I have a stroker crank (Cobra i believe), Manley Platinum Series Forged Pistons, Manley Stroker Forged I Beam Rods. All from the Infamous Seanhyland Motorsports. Everything is great for me so far except I don't know what clutch and flywheel to buy for the 8 bolt crank.

6375-2 99-01 Cobra, 03 Mach 1, 8 bolt, 11" clutch $119.95
http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com...d=553&osCsid=1dd2753b6a1551589ae1d1eab845f49f

....and a SPEC Stage II. Good for 520lbs ft/tq.
http://www.specclutch.com/

Problem solved. :nice:

TweekedGT said:

Mike get the Spec stage 3+ clutch and lightweight flywheel. The clutch is suppose to be as streetable as the stage 2 but have the holding power of the stage 5.

And as for the rotating assembly yes it is $200 extra but you have to have the stock crank rebalenced anyway. May as well start out with a brand new one and have the ability to wind it past 7000 RPM. The stock crank is not save past 6500 RPM.

It is your money in the end might as well spend it wisely.