what should i put on

aleborjas

Sep 11, 2005
hello

i have a 88' mustang LX (stock wheight) with a 306, 274hr cam(comp cams), 30lbs inyectors and 75mm air meter manual T5, 3.73gears and i whant to now what heads, intake and throtle body you people recomend me for my best performance. I think of AFR185, edelbrock performer RPM and twisted wedge heads! and perfomer RPM and typhon intakes with 70mm tb. I cant decide!
what you most like? help me, i dont whant to waste my money in mickey mouse stuff (****) and what time should i do with all this with ET street?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

IntenseBlue said:
AFR 185s, Trick Flow Track Heat or RPMII intake, and an Accufab 70/75mm throttle body.
That would be a really bad idea...heads and intake would be excellent on a larger displacement motor...bad idea on a lil old 306. AFR 165's are an excellent head, I'm biased towards the Eddys, they've worked REALLY nice with my supporting parts. Read up all you can and know what you want from the car before you just go spending money on parts that won't work to their best together.

IntenseBlue said:
Your RPMs are in the same class of heads as the 185s. Not only that, but your intake is in the same class as the ones I listed also. What's your point?
Very very wrong...my heads flow JUST the same as the 165's and that's ported..my intake ported flows JUST as much if not little less than an RPM. The components you've listed would kill the flow velocity..just too large for a 306...don't mean to sound matter of fact, but your indicated combo with his cam would be VERY unfriendly on the street..more a 331/347 combo.

hello
i want to make one purshase because im planing in the future tu put on a stroker 347 with the same cam and what happen if i put now AFR 185 in my 306 (it has SRP pistons with dual valve releaf) and the intake with 70mm TB? I am now runnig with E7TE heads(1.94 1.55) ported and milled .020'' with stock intake, lower is ported and stock TB.
like this my car runs 13.50 ET with regular tires 17'' i whant to go on 12's with 306 and the i'll go for the 347...
PS. what valve angle has the AFR 185's?

the twisted wedge heads will be very close to the same port cross section as the afr 185, i would say thats the only way to go, i would never buy a 165 personally, no where to go when you want more, unless you start shelling out cash. with the right cam, the 185 will cost nothing in the way of lost low end, and will nearly always have a bit more up top. I personally think the 165 is great for a 289 ;)

anyway, if your worried about the future, and how your combo will inevitably change, go fer the afr 185's, and the rpm setup. if your going to leave it alone, and wanna save 100-200 now, get the twisted wedge, they have awesome midlift flow, and will work quite well with the right low duration, high lift cam...the key is right!

dont spend 260 bux on an OTS cam before talking to a cam designer, for an extra 40-80 bux you can have the RIGHT cam for the setup.

good luck!

nosmatt said:
the twisted wedge heads will be very close to the same port cross section as the afr 185, i would say thats the only way to go, i would never buy a 165 personally, no where to go when you want more, unless you start shelling out cash. with the right cam, the 185 will cost nothing in the way of lost low end, and will nearly always have a bit more up top. I personally think the 165 is great for a 289 ;)

anyway, if your worried about the future, and how your combo will inevitably change, go fer the afr 185's, and the rpm setup. if your going to leave it alone, and wanna save 100-200 now, get the twisted wedge, they have awesome midlift flow, and will work quite well with the right low duration, high lift cam...the key is right!

dont spend 260 bux on an OTS cam before talking to a cam designer, for an extra 40-80 bux you can have the RIGHT cam for the setup.

good luck!
isin it the COMP CAM EX274HR good for stroker?
i have it on my 306 and its very good its rev's fast. :D