What should tire pressure be at to prevent flat spots?

• Sponsors (?)

Why worry about it. The tire will become round again in a mile or so.

X2

I had some cheap/old tires that would get flat spots just by sitting overnight. A few blocks driving down the road and they were gone. Had a different set of tires sit for close to two years, no flat spots at all. So I wouldn't worry about it.

I think flat spots went away with bias ply?

I'll let you know in March when the vert comes out of hibernation. I took the tires off last year and stored it up on blocks. Won't make that mistake again! The blocks froze to the ground, and I spent about an hour with a blow torch and a sledge hammer getting them free so I could drive the car into the garage. :eek:

This winter, it's sitting on the nearly new Nittos.

By my own example, I wouldn't worry about it. If you do get flat spots, they'll certainly go away quickly once you start driving it again.

Any tire utilizing nylon belts can or will form flat spots after sitting for long periods of time. Especially in colder weather. Bias construction OR radial. Many of the H rated and all of the Z rated "W" suffix & "Y" suffix radials today use 1 or even 2 nylon cap belts to keep tire composure or "growing" under control at real high speeds. Tire construction info is usually found on the tire sidewall in small print.

GT