What size fuel line

SoCal69GT

Aug 3, 2004
Oceanside, CA
I'm looking at replacing my old fuel line with braided stainless hose and just wondering what size is the right one. I have a stock set-up and maybe eventually switch to an Edelbrock 600 carb and manifold combo. This car will not see a race track. Just plain stock cruiser. Any info will be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

You want to replace with 3/8" line. I am not sure that braided steel tank-to-pump line is legal in Cali. You can get factory-type 3/8" standard ($60) or stainless ($90) line from NPD. They come in two pieces and are easy to install. Rubber lines will have a lifespan. Steel lines last ... almost forever.

I had a friend with a drag car that had 1/2" aluminum hard line under his car with braided at each end because you can't have more than 12" or rubber line according to NHRA tech. He replaced it with #8 braided. It was fine for a while, but developed a leak in the line. They removed ends, trimmed back, reinstalled several times. Could never find the leak as it dripped at the low spot. Ended up going back to hard line.

I've heard of other guys that did this as well and had no problems.

pn 9369-32A from NPD catalog ($59.95) is 69-70 3/8" line for cars that came with factory sway bar. If your bar fits like the factory piece, it should work. There was a separate part number for no-bar cars, so I suspect the factory used two sets also depending on bar/no-bar.

And do me a favor, get rid of that animated avatar ... it makes me horny ;-)>

SoCalCruising said:
You want to replace with 3/8" line. I am not sure that braided steel tank-to-pump line is legal in Cali. You can get factory-type 3/8" standard ($60) or stainless ($90) line from NPD. They come in two pieces and are easy to install. Rubber lines will have a lifespan. Steel lines last ... almost forever.

braided tank to pump line is in fact legal in california. i know this for a fact because i looked it up when a customer requested it. :)

enferno said:
braided tank to pump line is in fact legal in california. i know this for a fact because i looked it up when a customer requested it. :)

And we're supposed to take any advice about fuel lines from a guy that goes by the name 'enferno'?!?! :nono: :jaw: :D

Just kidding man. :jester: It's good that someone knows about this stuff. I think it's in Cali that the braided brake lines aren't legal, isn't it? Seems like they'd be better than plain rubber hoses to me.

1320stang said:
I think it's in Cali that the braided brake lines aren't legal, isn't it? Seems like they'd be better than plain rubber hoses to me.
\

Technically nothing is legal here, but it's only a problem if you get caught. Even changing your rear gear ratio is illegal for absurd emissions reasons.....and on a smog-excempt car to boot!

I highly doubt a LEO will have any reason to go snooping under a plain cruiser Mustang. I would recommend hard line of some sort, most likely in 5/16 or 3/8 aluminum or steel.

1320stang said:
And we're supposed to take any advice about fuel lines from a guy that goes by the name 'enferno'?!?! :nono: :jaw: :D

Just kidding man. :jester: It's good that someone knows about this stuff. I think it's in Cali that the braided brake lines aren't legal, isn't it? Seems like they'd be better than plain rubber hoses to me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You may very well be right, but my point is that the risk of getting "caught" for something like that is extremely small. They dish out speeding and noise tickets long before fix-it tickets, especially for non-emissions related hipo parts. Fix-its aren't a money maker when all they get for their trouble is $10 in paperwork fees.

Can someone point me in the direction to find 1/2'' (-8AN)pre-bent solid line from tank to pump/engine bay? And I dont mean a universal solid line that needs to be bent. :)
Also, how did you guys run your return lines on carberated cars w. stock fuel tanks? (65 coupe).