What size M/T ET Drags Should I Run?

• Sponsors (?)

26x10 ET Drag. If you go over about 6300 rpm, and 126mph, you might want to think of stepping up to a 28x10. The 26" tire will have no fit issues, and probably give you all the mph you need.

Kurt

Scroll down to where they talk about anti squat.
BaselineSuspensions.com.........Launching A Drag Car

Anti Squat (AS):
This is a term used to describe how much the rear of the car will Rise or Squat during launch. If a chassis has 160% of AS then the rear will rise drastically, planting the tires violently. By comparison if a chassis has 100% AS then the rear of the car will not rise or squat and if a chassis has less than 100% the rear of the car will squat.
~A common problem with high horsepower cars running Too Much AS is that the tires will plant the tires very hard for the first several feet but then start to unload the tires and spin when the chassis starts to settle. If your car does this, then look into the value of the AS. Much too often racers will detune the engine to "calm down" the launch instead of look into the suspension geometry.
~A common problem with high horsepower cars running Too Little AS is that the suspension will cause the rear of the car to squat which tries to unload the tires. Again racers detune the engine to maintain traction instead of looking into the suspension geometry.

If the car Squats enough to make a 26x11.5 rub then there are bigger problems, there are guys fitting 325/50/15 drag radials on the 94-95 cars without problems and thats wider then a 26x11.5

Fit as much tire as you can within reason its not gonna slow you down if you have an inch wider tire, more contact patch is not a bad thing. On my fox i have about .250" of clearance to the inner fender and it dosent rub on me when i launch the car

Slicks bubble up all kinds of different ways compared to drag radials, I hate to tell ya. More contact patch is not better. Slicks are sticky; more contact patch means more rolling resistance on the other side of the track. A 10" tire will hook more than necessary. If you go up to a 28" tall tire vs. a 26" tall tire, then it's more rotational mass to spin, which hurts power, and it reduces the mechanical advantage of the engine (like putting in shorter gears). It's a lose lose. All you need is a 10x26 for that car.

Kurt

both are good points, but

Trueblue95GT your ball is on both sides of the court

do what you want. experience and time will tell with one tire or

another what is best for your car.

if it were me i'd go with the bigger tire and add a 250 shot,

Oh, decisions decisions

Lol, I dont want to add a 250 shot and crack the block. I just built this motor exactly like I want it and there's no way I'm going to push this block even further past the limits just for an ET. Also, I think everybody misunderstood me when I said ET Drags. I'm getting the ET Streets, but not the radials:

et_street.jpg

The 10" will probably be fine. I run the 11.5" ET Streets on my '02 and a 27x11.5" Hoosier QTP's on the '95. They fit no problems and both cars are lowered. I figured the extra width makes up for the grooves cut in for tread and they fill out the wheel well and look good lol

I've got a 347ci stroker with roughly 400rwhp and I'm going to be running a 125 shot on top of that. I've got 4.10's and just bought 15x10 Greg Weld Wheels with 6.5" BS. What height tire should I run?

What trans are you running? and how much does the car weigh?

Im assuming your cars is a stick and if it is i wouldnt bother with a 26" tire and step up to the 28x10.5. I didnt realize you were going to be running juice. If the car is dialed in and working right it should be trapping over 130 on the nitrous and that will have you spinning the motor around 6800 rpms which wont be ideal with a stock block. With the 28" tire you will be around 6400 at 130.

And before someone says it, yea a 347 on juice should have no problem trapping anywhere from 126 to 132mph as long as the car dosent weigh over 3500lbs