What size Slick ??

10secgoal

Dec 1, 2003
San Diego
I'm pretty sure I will need a 28 inch slick, problem is, I don't know if I can actually fit a 28x10.5 I just bought some weld pro stars ( $170 for all four rims and tires. SCORE!!!!) And they are 3 1/2 with a set of 15x10 with 7 inches of backspace. On the back now are 295/50/15. They are a smidge too wide. I want to go with ET streets. I'm just real curious because I've never bought a slick. I saw some 28x11.5 and the tread was 9 in. those would fit just fine. But it's hard to tell when everyone says 28x10.5, is that how wide or how wide the tread actually is ? Or just what have you guys been able to fit with out tubbing?

• Sponsors (?)

mickey thompson's 'et street' slicks and a few other tires are measured by their section width .. which is the widest part of the tire. it is the 'bubble' in the sidewall, and MT measures them with 10 psi or something. you cans ee the tread widths on their website but if someone tells you you can fit a 10.5" et street don't go tryin to fit a 10.5" et drag or other brand drag tire. as a general rule, the 10.5" section width is about 9" of tread width, which is why most classic mustangs run a 9" wide slick. height should be determined by transmission, rear gear, and rpms through the traps.

On My 70 I Was Able To Fit The 27x10.5 Et Streets On 15x8 Welds W/5.5 Bs And I Had To Use A 1/4 Wheel Spacer To Get Clearance From The Springs. Without Doing Some Wheelwell Mod. I Don't Think I Could Get The 28x11.5. Right Now I Have @ 5/8" From The Springs And 1/2" From The Wheelwell Edge Closest To The Spings(where It Curves Around.

BTW THE 27X10.5 HAS MORE TREAD WIDTH THAN THE 28X11.5

28x10.5 is a nice snug fit from what i hear froma friend his dad has them on his 68 and said he only hadf to hit to spot with a sledge in two spots and roll the lip and has no problems.