What size tires for my front skinnies?

emagdnim

Feb 5, 2003
Hi there Stangnet,

I don't currently trust the 15 year old skinnies on the front of my car so is there any recommended brands and size for replacement? They are currently 165r15 centreds which are discontinued. Any guidance would be appreciated! Doesn't seem like an easy replacement.

Thanks
David

Attachments

• 20200725_134322.jpg
    20200725_134322.jpg
    719.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Sponsors (?)

I believe mine are 165/80r15 and they’re a cheaper brand like Nankang. They’re rated to 130mph and I doubt it’ll ever see that on a 1/8 mile track. You can spend a bit more for sure and probably get a better quality tire.

What is your wheel width?

Reactions: 1 user
I have the same rim, and I'm in the same boat. I paid $88 for the pair of 165R15 front runners I have at Firestone 15 years ago. It's a tire size that was for some old 70s BMW that has since been discontinued. Just go ahead and shoot your wad on a set of Mickey Thompson front runners and get it over with. There isn't much else on the market I would trust at any speed.

Kurt

Is this also the best way to replace a compact spare?
It's not a terrible way, that's for sure. You can have your cake and eat it too, a wheel/tire that's small enough to hide in the trunk and has enough of a speed rating to not be limited to 50mph.

I am thinking a 30 year old spare might not be safe at even 50 mph. My ‘61 had it’s original spare that looked great, and it was so hard that tire pressure did not matter. It has been replaced with a import tire that’s shorter but safer. I was going to save the old one in case it was needed for a show, but I think it cracked badly when removed.

I am thinking a 30 year old spare might not be safe at even 50 mph. My ‘61 had it’s original spare that looked great, and it was so hard that tire pressure did not matter. It has been replaced with a import tire that’s shorter but safer. I was going to save the old one in case it was needed for a show, but I think it cracked badly when removed.
You can get replacement mini spare tires from Summit and Discount, among others, in various sizes, but upgrading to an actual road tire makes even more sense.

• Useful
Ozone and heat will eventually get them. They will not have had the road or stationary weight issues of normal tires. There are times an old, hard tire is better than a flat one. But if the spare is cracked or petrified, it better be a short trip.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
I ended up picking up some lower cost 165/80/25 tires. They are made in china but should get the job done for what I need and much better then what I have currently.

If I was using a condom that was made in China, then I'm going to pull out. Just saying. The most relevant safety feature of a car is the quality of the tires. Don't skimp on this one.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users