what size tires on 5 star ponies?

90lxfoxbody

Jan 11, 2006
title says it all. i have found a good deal on a set of 4 lug pony rims. what size tire are you guys running, and have any of you run a specific tire size on these rims for a long time? pro's, cons? observations? stock size is 225/55/16 it says.

• Sponsors (?)

ya know i was just doing a google seach and it seems about 90% of people put that size on the pony rims. just so happens tirerack has a good price on sereval brands in that size. thanks man.

actually the 245's only puts about the same amount of rubber to the road as the 225's do. i have had 245's and u could tell by the wear that the outsides of the tires wasnt meeting the pavement. basicly u are just paying for a wider tire but no better performance IMO

p.s. my car seems to handle better with 225/50's then the 245/50's did

PEIslander88 said:
I've got 245/50/16's all around on my pony's ... they told me not to go much wider than that. It's the same height and everything as stock too so the speedo is still correct too.

Is your car lowered? And do u have any rubbing issues on the front with that size?

blake89stang said:
actually the 245's only puts about the same amount of rubber to the road as the 225's do. i have had 245's and u could tell by the wear that the outsides of the tires wasnt meeting the pavement. basicly u are just paying for a wider tire but no better performance IMO

p.s. my car seems to handle better with 225/50's then the 245/50's did

What tire pressure were you running?

The 245 puts an additional 20mm of rubber on the road. Because of this, the surface area of the footprint increases. As a result, you need to lower tire pressure. Sounds to me that if the outside edges are not touching the road, then your tire pressure was too high.

Mustang5L5 said:
What tire pressure were you running?

The 245 puts an additional 20mm of rubber on the road. Because of this, the surface area of the footprint increases. As a result, you need to lower tire pressure. Sounds to me that if the outside edges are not touching the road, then your tire pressure was too high.
around 32psi

i personaly hated the 245's yeah they look better but i get more performance from the 225's i have

1988WHTGT said:
Is your car lowered? And do u have any rubbing issues on the front with that size?

Yeah it's lowered with Eibachs ... and yes I have some small rubbing issues with the front, but only at full turn ... rarely noticeable, definetely not enough to worry about ... As for traction, I noticed a big difference in 1/4 mile last summer, but it could be partly me just getting better at launching too.

i have looked around and settled on a set of speed rated kuhmo 225 50 16 front and 245 50 16 on the back. i've been running kuhmo kh11's 225 60 15 on my ten holes for about two years now and haven't had any issues with them. best thing - $273.00 shipped from tirerack.com for all four tires. not too bad. i am holding off until i talk to the guy who has the rims for sale again before i buy the tires of course. just my luck, the tire prices will probably go up $20 apiece overnight.....

245 is the widest you should go. I with BS on this one though. I have had 245's at all 4 corners before and hated the ride and handling of the car. I switched back to the stock size and loved the car so much more...

srothfuss said:
245 is the widest you should go. I with BS on this one though. I have had 245's at all 4 corners before and hated the ride and handling of the car. I switched back to the stock size and loved the car so much more...

My first post didn't go through i guess.

Anyway what i said was that the rim the tire is mounted to makes a big difference as well. On a 7" wide wheel a 245 will bulge out slightly and have increased sidewall flex. That could hurt handling slghtly.

Now a 245 on an 8" wheel would have straighter sidewalls and flex less during turns

The stock Ponies are 16x7.

I have 225/55ZR16's and have been happy. Even with pretty good wear on them (BFGoodrich geForce T/A KDWS), I hooked up fairly well at the track.

They are pretty bad now though. Debating on going to new rims or just getting new tires. If I keep the ponies, I will stock the to present size. At full turn of the steering wheel, the fronts rub (i.e. parking) and the car is lowered about 1-1.5" all around.