What to look for on a used car?

Red_LX

I’m not much help unless you’re looking for ****!
Mod Dude
I'm hoping to get out and start looking at some '05-'06 GT's shortly.

However I can't say I'm overly familiar with these cars.

What do I need to look for on a used car? What are common problem areas?

Also, a little off topic but whichever car I get, at some point I'd really like to put on a set of 18" torq-thrust style wheels (as I've seen on ebay for a really good price), and they're 18x9 and 18x10 I believe so they would require staggered tires. Are any of you guys here running staggered tires and if so how is the tire wear? I know you can't rotate the tires in such a setup and that was my main concern.

• Sponsors (?)

When shopping, start with some basic items and then narrow down your options from there.

1. Check to see if the car has been wrecked/repaired. Don't rely on a CarFax as all vehicle owners don't use insurance to fix repairs...if they pay out of pocket, it may not show on a carfax report. Check closely....usually if a car has been repaired and repainted, you can tell by looking in the fender wells, door jambs, inside the trunk, and under the hood. You can usually tell if something doesn't look right (pay attention to bolt heads on panels...you can tell if they've been disassembled/reassembled by the paint around the heads) and look for overspray. Keep in mind that just becuase a car was repaired after a fender-bender doesn't mean it's not good...it's just something to let you know to look deeper if you know it's been wrecked.

2. Check to see if it's been maintained. If the previous owner has records...great! Also check to see if any recalls or TSBs had been addressed (previous owner may have records).

3. If it's been modified...it was probably driven hard as most folks who modify cars are just that way...I know I am. Driving it hard may not be all that bad...but if they thrashed it and didn't maintain it....then you're asking for problems down the road.

I have not owned an 05-era Mustang, so maybe some other folks would have more particular input as for things too specifically look for on these models. Good Luck on your quest!!

When I do a pre-purchase inspection, one of the things I look for underneath a car is clamp marks on the rocker panels from both sides.
There would be 2 sets on each side, mabey 6-8 inches long.
These marks are an indication that the car was mounted on an anchoring system for pulling body and frame.
If you see them, then look deeper for old collision damage.

Look at the hood bolts, fender bolts, and door hinge bolts. If youy see tool marks (from sockets or wrenches that show the bolts have been removed)
Thats a good indication that the panels have been replaced or removed to acess damage below.

Look down the side for waves, uneven panels, or dents.
Don't look at the body when its wet because you won't see anything but wet.

Hope this helps.
Ron