What would you do (II) Really looking for advice here...

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
Alrighty Then!

Just got off the phone w/ American Racing. As with all "custom" wheels,
They will allow me to dictate exact widths and B/S for each of the two wheel sets I would buy.

So bottom line, I could get the fronts in a 17 x 7 w/ the exact B/S that the Pony R's have currently on my car. And I can also get the rears the same way. They take 4-6 weeks so they'll show up at Christmas.
For that "convenience" It'll cost me 1600.00.
Did I mention they're Gorgeous??

I can get 4 03' mach1 wheels in a 17 x 8 (used) and a 17 x 9 (new) for around 600.00 The B/S will be close, but the rear wheel is an inch narrower than what I have, and the front is an inch wider. As of right now, I still have to find a decent set of fronts.

Remember, I have a manual rack. Turning a 245/255 tire is gonna be a big PITA. W/ the 225 now, it's tolerable.

If I go w/ the custom set, they completely cover what would be behind them so a big brake would be my little secret. More than likely, after buying these, my ass will be bleeding so badly, I'll only justify upgrading to V8 spindles and 11" Rotors w/ Ranger drums. ( at least for the entire 2012 year)

If I buy the mach 1 stuff, I'd throw the difference into the requisite big brake upgrade as those wheels "let it all hang out" as all of the junk is visible behind the wheel.

This is me: I will never road race/autocross this thing. I just wanna driver. The current manual brake plan is gonna stay. It just hast to stop..... nicely.
Right now, there is still something left to be desired in that department, and I don't know if it's the small rotors, the stock mustang manual M/C, the smallish rear drums, a combination of the three, or the fact that I am just used to being able to bug my eyes out from a hard stop in my last GTO.

• Sponsors (?)

What american racing wheel were you going to run? The plus side with going custom is you dont have to buy tires, and could probably get good money for your pony R's. Thats what i would do, in the long run you will be happier

I say stay away from the mach 1 wheel. I think you will be in the same position you are with the pony R's right now in a few months with that wheel. Its going to look boring on that car.

To be honest, i dont care for either choice. I think the car needs something that dosent look like its 40 years old. I get that you want it to feel like an authentic 60's car but both of those choices are way too dull for the car IMO. If i saw it at a show my first thought would be, he put all that work into the car and just threw some old wheels that were lying around on it.

These would set it off, and its cheaper than those other custom wheels your considering.
Newstalgia Wheel, American Racing Wheels, Boyd Coddington Wheels, Billet Vintiques, Colorado Custom Wheels, Cragar Wheels, Bonspeed Wheels, Foose Wheels, Radir Wheels, TQ Chrome

Id take the spinner centers off of them and call it a day

oh hell, I didnt follow 90's link. oh well. at least I am not the only one thinking it. spinners included.
joesimg19591024pxqj2.jpg

To be honest, i dont care for either choice. I think the car needs something that dosent look like its 40 years old. I get that you want it to feel like an authentic 60's car but both of those choices are way too dull for the car IMO. If i saw it at a show my first thought would be, he put all that work into the car and just threw some old wheels that were lying around on it.

These would set it off, and its cheaper than those other custom wheels your considering.
Newstalgia Wheel, American Racing Wheels, Boyd Coddington Wheels, Billet Vintiques, Colorado Custom Wheels, Cragar Wheels, Bonspeed Wheels, Foose Wheels, Radir Wheels, TQ Chrome

Id take the spinner centers off of them and call it a day

* Sigh*

I appreciate the info. All weekend long at the NMRA thing, I kept hearing that I needed a "retro" wheel to compliment the look. I've always known that. I like that Cobra wheel, and it is one of the contenders for what'll end up on the car, But I like the Magnum 500 wheel as well. I've always liked it, it was just too much for me to seriously consider.........(initially)
The fact that it's a 17" wheel will be the difference between what is right for the car, and "why did he throw those things on there" The factory mach1's are out, I agree that in this case, I'll probably end up dis-satisfied w/ them sooner than later.

Since the replies ( which I appreciate believe me) I have "expanded" my choices to include a total of six expensive-assed custom wheels. I know that it'll ultimately come down to me, but as expensive as it is to make this choice, I wanna do it right. I know this, One of these are gonna be the ones I go with.

Here are the 6:

http://centerlinewheels.com/images/wheel_deals/12517softtail.jpg

These are 299/329 a pair

http://centerlinewheels.com/images/wheel_deals/boulevard-satin_451x421.jpg

I gotta call C/L on these, IDK the price as of yet, (they may be too expensive)

http://images.wheelpros.com/mSB4273.png
Your suggestion: Summit sells these as well, but they are listed as the same price as the magnum 500's

http://images.wheelpros.com/mAR8827.png
I just saw these last night, I'm really undecided on these. Price is right though.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/ARE-5007956557.jpg
The magnum wheel

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/are-470566532_w.jpg

The "American Racing" version of the C/L

I like the first centerline you posted, the softtail i believe. I dont think an all out retro wheel is the way to go, i think you need a modern clean looking wheel that is at home on an old car to pull it all together. Good luck with your choice.

Thanks for the input, I have chosen the Centerline Soft tail.

It came down to two things: #1.price/bang for the buck; and #2 the style of wheel.

I have purchased C/L's for the last two cars, so they gave me a deal on this set. 250 ea. for the fronts, 300 ea. for the rears. $1220. to my door.

The wheels were listed at 299/379. so I am happy w/ the bottom line.

They're billet, so they're light (way lighter than those Pony R's) I got the "modern" aspect covered. They still kinda have a magnum 500 feel (which I like) and I think they also have a Keystone Klassic thing going on as well, so I have three decades covered.

Good choice!

Thanks for the input, I have chosen the Centerline Soft tail.

It came down to two things: #1.price/bang for the buck; and #2 the style of wheel.

I have purchased C/L's for the last two cars, so they gave me a deal on this set. 250 ea. for the fronts, 300 ea. for the rears. $1220. to my door.

The wheels were listed at 299/379. so I am happy w/ the bottom line.

They're billet, so they're light (way lighter than those Pony R's) I got the "modern" aspect covered. They still kinda have a magnum 500 feel (which I like) and I think they also have a Keystone Klassic thing going on as well, so I have three decades covered.

well, that's a good thing,......everybody seems OK w/ the wheel:shrug:.

I was getting used to have to defend my decisions on the rest of the car (i.e. digital gauges, 4.6 engine, the carb, the steering, the brakes,) to have nobody say my wheel choice "isn't what they'd have done" leaves me a little...........
Unfulfilled.

:)

:D

:rlaugh:

Thanks all for the thoughts and comments as always.

The stupidity will keep coming as long as you let me.

I did miss this thread, as you noted in your build thread. I too like the Cobra wheel, but your choice is probably more rare on a stang. At least Ive never seen them before. Coulda bought some Eleanor style wheels like my ol' gal has... Wait no, then my uniqueness is out the window.

I like the wheels on your car. I also liked those Cobra wheels, but like you've already surmised It was important that the wheel be as individual as the car.
I am looking forward to that as the next change I make. They should be here in about two-three weeks ( Will make me a perfect B-day present, 11/21 :nice:)