Whats best fuel injection or carbonation?

oldfox

Feb 19, 2009
I'm looking at post where people debate whats best tell you what,,
I'm a old school guy --and I'm a old guy too--
I have raced early hilborn fuel injection set ups with the 8 stacks and a
belt driven fuel pump
I have raced with one,two three and four carburetors at a time
I have raced with 6-71 blowers with one and with two carburetors
I have raced with modern fuel injection
I have raced with the small B&M blowers (now weiand) 144 and 177 c.i.d
For fuel I have ran nitro, alcohol, pump gas, blue gas, propane, and even limped home on drip gas. --home made gas from corn too.
For spark I have had points magneatos, electronic ignition and coil packs

I have had good luck and won races with all of them
The trick is to listen to the people that know what they are doing and
having good results on what your learning to set up. Then ad your own smarts to the mix.
When your trying to set something up you never messed with before
remember God gave you two ears and one mouth he wanted you to listen
twice as much as you talk.
As far as I'm concerned it's all good if it's set up right

Oh yea, I forgot right now I'm running a KB twin screw on my daily driver

• Sponsors (?)

They both have their pros and cons. Efi seems to be good at making torque while carb seems to better for pure horsepower. Really gotta decide what is best for you and what you want to tinker with.

My only gripe with carb is when guys don't put the time in to understand the efi or delete random stuff and wonder why it runs like crap or don't want to buy a couple o2 sensors and convert to carb out of frustration.

The answer is:

What do you want to do with the car?

Carbs are great for the track and make good power. The initall cost is low and parts are plentiful. For a strip only N/A car, they are hard to beat. Step on the pedal and flush - it's a gasoline toilet!

EFI RULES on the street for a car that is driven in all kinds of weather, up and down mountains and gets great gas mileage. EFI will make just as much power as a carb and be easier to drive on the street. If isn't hard to tune if you know what you are doing. For an engine with boost, EFI is an excellent choice when combinded with an advanced programer like Moates, Tweecer or Anderson PMS: you can tune the car as it is being driven.

There isn't a carb made without computer assist that can do all those things as well as EFI can. The only possible exception would be the IDA or DCOE Webers which cost major $$$ - like $3000 for 4 each IDA 48's and a manifold.

Here's a book that will get you started with how the Ford electronic engine control or "computer" works.

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control 1988-1993 by Charles Probst: ISBN 0-8376-0301-3.

It's about $30 from Borders.com see http://www.amazon.com/ . Select boo...very good, and I found it to be very helpful.