whats everyones thoughts on Sumitomo tires?

I have the HTR Z II on the Catfish and like them. I also have the HTR Z on the Cobra but for some reason around 3500 rpms I feel the car breaking loose everytime:D

I like them and pretty good tires for the money.

• Sponsors (?)

If you have Sumitomo's, you are officially a cheap-a$$

Says the kid with the looks fast but still slow goodies. I bet if you invested money from those Bullshyt toys and got something that really makes power, you can educate this cheapa$$ a thing or two. However, I dont thing you will be doing anything. With 2 cars that I daily drive and also have 2 sets of race wheels with tires in addition to those, I rather skimp on a set of 315's that do the job rather than pay 300+ for some that can do it a little better.

And you are still slow and look like rice, that doesnt make you the authority though. Sorry

sorry, i just saw a thread that asked for people Thoughts on Sumitomo tires :nonono: ...and was just giving my thoughts... and my thoughts are that you potential Sumitomo buy better tires...Unless you are into drifting because drifters burn up tires so fast that sumi's are sweet because they are cheap...dirt cheap

...other than that those tires are :BS:

sorry, i just saw a thread that asked for people Thoughts on Sumitomo tires :nonono: ...and was just giving my thoughts... and my thoughts are that you potential Sumitomo buy better tires...Unless you are into drifting because drifters burn up tires so fast that sumi's are sweet because they are cheap...dirt cheap

Your thoughts go beyond the tires as stated in the post. Afterall I have to cheap cars.

I bought Sumitomo's for both my cars because I dont need to spend a ton of money (Mustang has a 10.5 rim and LS1 has 18's) on a normal street tire that does the job when I can spend the money where I really need it..go fast mods.

I dont mess around on the street so no sense in buying the most expensive tire when Sumi's get the job done and have good ratings for their tires by customers.

So you are saying when a car is moving you can tell what brand of tire it has on and determine it's a cheap car from there :rolleyes: . Guess you also a tire expert to be able to tell what tires are what from the tread pattern? I assume you look at people's clothing and pass judgment about them as well? Guess it's along the same lines of thinking someone has a low level of education by their grammar. Excerpt about tires used by competition drifters:

The tires under a drift car aren’t hardcompound, junk rubber that’s easy to break loose. Far from it. Drifters use ultra- high- performance tires that offer plenty of grip when needed and can withstand the tremendous heat generated by all that wheel spin. It’s common for a drift car to use up several sets of tires— particularly rear tires—during a day of competition, so tire sponsorship is very important to these teams. The tires under the Falken 240SXs are Falken’s Azenis RT-615s). RMR Racing is sponsored by Yokohama, and the GTO rides on AVS ES100s. BFGoodrich is Signal Auto’s tire supplier (Signal’s “Drift Twin s” were prominently displayed in BFG’s SEMA Show booth last year), and the team’s preferred tire is the g - Force KD.

As you can see, a little more thought goes into tires choice than "we go through a lot of tires, might as well get the cheap ones". For the most part anyways, it's more about the driver than what tire you have. I've been able to get 1.9 60' times with these cheap sumo's while others are getting the same with DRs. Personally, I have the Sumo's on the car b/c I:

A) Don't race on the street, nor do I go romping around down so why do I need an expensive high performance tire for DD duty?

B) Have a second set of wheels that is waiting for DRs for track duty.

Pick a tire based on what you are planning on doing with the car. If you are DD'ing it and that is your only set of tires that you also track with, would probably be worth spending the extra money for the overall better performing tire. If you have another set for the track and you DD your car, then the Sumo's would work just fine as a commuter tire while giving you good mileage out of them.

:shrug: Just bought some chrome 03 Cobra wheels and about to buy some tires. :shrug: looking at the Sumitomo HTR Z II 275/40/17. American Muscle has them for $120 and Tire Rack has them for $99 each :eek:

lol please.

I just got a set of KDW2's (275/35r18 up front, 295/35r18 out back) so dont act like 120$ a tire is expensive.

i was going to go with a sumitomo as well, but i heard two horror stories about them hydroplaning in the rain with a fatter rear tire, i went with KDW2's cause of their excellent reviews of wet weather traction as well as hot summer grip.

The tires under a drift car aren’t hardcompound, junk rubber that’s easy to break loose. Far from it. Drifters use ultra- high- performance tires that offer plenty of grip when needed and can withstand the tremendous heat generated by all that wheel spin. It’s common for a drift car to use up several sets of tires— particularly rear tires—during a day of competition, so tire sponsorship is very important to these teams. The tires under the Falken 240SXs are Falken’s Azenis RT-615s). RMR Racing is sponsored by Yokohama, and the GTO rides on AVS ES100s. BFGoodrich is Signal Auto’s tire supplier (Signal’s “Drift Twin s” were prominently displayed in BFG’s SEMA Show booth last year), and the team’s preferred tire is the g - Force KD.

Since I live in So. Cal i have had to deal the with Whole Drifting thing getting big and seeing alot of this stuff.....and have had a few driving buddys do this stuff...and i have learned a few things about real "drifting"

Drifters are the Official "Cheap A$$'s" of motorsports. They dont want to spend any money on parts, cars, or Events. Out here is cali you get a chance to see "Drift Days" going on at the track....and most guys that go to Drift Days go to Joe's Tire Barn and buy $25 used tires and burn then up....Unless your some High end Pro like "The Drift King" you are not gonna go buy a new set to burn up in a day. They mostly put some BS tires on the back and a Moderate grade tire on the front for some grip