What's It Worth. 79 Convertible

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHCharger

Dec 25, 2016
I acquired a 79 Mustang last winter. It is a pace car edition that someone converted into a convertible and painted it black. It hasn't see much use with only 42k on the odometer. I have too many cars and being a Mopar guy (sorry) I need to thin the herd. Since this is a conversion it's hard to put a price on it. It's registered, runs and drives. I bought new wheels and tires for it, still have the originals. There is one little bubble in the paint near the tail light, other than that no rust. Has the 5.0, manual. Someone put a Holley carb and valve covers, headers into a single exhaust with a cherry bomb for a muffler, sounds pretty good actually.I do have the Marti Report for it.
I can't find the pics with the new wheels. These are when I first got it, before I cleaned it up.
Any input on what you think it might be worth is appreciated.

Attachments

• stang3bhb.JPG
    stang3bhb.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 175
  • stang1bhb.JPG
    stang1bhb.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 157
  • stang2bhb.JPG
    stang2bhb.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 156
  • stang101bhb.JPG
    stang101bhb.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 178
  • Sponsors (?)

So the Marti says it was a pace car?

Puzzling why anyone would've done the convertible mod.

There were over ten thousand of the pace cars made, so they're not particularly rare. Yet restored pace cars will sell better than foxes with considerably less of them made. That is if they're original. Yours has been modified with an option that would require LOTS of work to restore to original.

Show a few pictures of it cleaned up. A nice running fox with mileage as lows as yours can still bring decent money depending where you live.

I think your value will depend less on the pace car pedigree, and more on a nice restomod with low mileage.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd like to see close ups of the conversion.

But this is gonna be a hard sale. Verts don't tend to bring top dollar let along a conversion convertible. Off the top of my head I'd say maybe 2k. If it were original it'd be much higher.

Do you have any documentation on the conversion? It looks similar to the ASC/McLaren convertible conversions, but a bit rougher. It it was done by ASC, there might be some "normal" value in the car, but if it was converted by Joe Blow, then I'd probably value it under what a non converted pace car would be.

Do you have any documentation on the conversion? It looks similar to the ASC/McLaren convertible conversions, but a bit rougher. It it was done by ASC, there might be some "normal" value in the car, but if it was converted by Joe Blow, then I'd probably value it under what a non converted pace car would be.

My boss (the third owner) had his friend that owned a bodyshop fix some bumps and bruises after he purchased the car back in the 90's. Unfortunately the shop lost all the paperwork on the conversion. I know that it was done by a company that does these conversions because when I was talking to my boss about the conversion he stated that Bob (body shop owner) had some questions about the conversion and called the coach company. I had never heard that term before. So I don't think it was back yard Joe, but I have no proof. The body shop owner passed away a couple of years ago so there is no shop left to look for paperwork.

karthief. I'm selling it. Changed the oil and filter and antifreeze. Drained gas tank. New plugs. Replaced belt tensioner and power steering pump. New wheels and tires. Spent quite a bit of time cleaning the rugs and seats. The carb should be cleaned. Car still needs a good wash and wax, but is inspected and on the road.
I just have no idea what this car is worth since it's an odd ball. I'll pull it outside this weekend and take some better pics and update the thread then.

OK. Here are some pics of it a bit cleaner. Haven't bothered cleaning the engine bay or trunk yet. The trunk still smells like a mouse condo.

Attachments

• mustang 8-28-1.JPG
    mustang 8-28-1.JPG
    640.2 KB · Views: 152
  • mustang 8-28-2.JPG
    mustang 8-28-2.JPG
    661.6 KB · Views: 117
  • mustang 8-28-3.JPG
    mustang 8-28-3.JPG
    724.4 KB · Views: 138
  • mustang 8-28-4.JPG
    mustang 8-28-4.JPG
    609.2 KB · Views: 118
  • mustang 8-28-5.JPG
    mustang 8-28-5.JPG
    670 KB · Views: 121
  • mustang 8-28-7.JPG
    mustang 8-28-7.JPG
    787.1 KB · Views: 136
It would have been interesting to see it brought back to the original two tone and have the running horses along the sides. Especially since it's a convertible.

I'd buy it if I had money.

I'd buy it for 3k... I have no idea who did the conversion. Looks pretty decent.

Someone may pay more....throw it on eBay with a high reserve. See what happens. I'd set the reserve at 10k. That way you don't shoot yourself in the foot.

I searched all over the net and couldn't find info on your car. There's someone out there that would give good money for an abnormal fox.

90sickfox - I was thinking the same thing. Put it on ebay with a high reserve and see where it goes. I have also searched all over the internet for info on this abbey normal fox. I did find one pic of another black fox body mustang with the convert. conversion in a show room. I went to classic autotrader to check out 79 mustangs. A dealer in Michigan has this clapped out turd which he claims is a pace car edition listed for $4.5k
https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1979/ford/mustang/100856893

It's worth slightly more than a GT of the same year and condition... To the right person.

The vert portion is a dealer installed option.

I think that will do for the "What's it worth" thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.