What's my 4 speed toploader worth?

muddslide

Mar 10, 2003
DAYTONA BEACH
I just pulled out my 4 speed topload trans tonight and was wondering what it is worth. The tranny is in great condition and come with all linkage, scatter shield and new hurst shifter and handle. The serial number on the tag reads rug ad 011653. I was told its a close ratio 4 speed. The trans shifts great and was just rebuilt a few months ago. The only reason I pulled it out was I drag racing and need an auto for bracket racing.

• Sponsors (?)

YTour transmission is worth about $4-500 . The scatttershield another $1-200. the shifter around $200 or so. Just one question I have is this, Is the scattershield the correct length for that 390 Toploader? The 390 Toploaders had shorter inputs than the other smallblock Toploaders and if you aren't careful in bellhousing selection, the input won't reach into the pilot bearing, leaving the input unsupported.

D.Hearne said:
YTour transmission is worth about $4-500 . The scatttershield another $1-200. the shifter around $200 or so. Just one question I have is this, Is the scattershield the correct length for that 390 Toploader? The 390 Toploaders had shorter inputs than the other smallblock Toploaders and if you aren't careful in bellhousing selection, the input won't reach into the pilot bearing, leaving the input unsupported.

:scratch: DH, Didn't you have a 390 sitting in a Montery?

:nonono: Smells like a deal here. :p
PB

Yea, I got 2 Montereys with 390's, a 63 thats for sale or part out and my 68 that can be for sale for the right price. But I ain't about to tackle trying to put a 4 speed in the 68. Much as I like 4 speeds, it ain't worth the effort. The clutch linkage is almost non-existant :nice:

I sold my wide ratio, small block toploader with bellhousing, hurst shifter, 164tooth flywheel (50oz), 10" clutch and pressure plate (decent shape) for $520. I was asking $600, but never got it. The tranny was fine, only quirk was the light grind into 2nd when really cold and shifted too quickly. Shifter prolly needed a rebuild too.

I hate to sell the toploader but I'm setting the car up for drag racing and I can't shift the 4 speed with dependability. I'm thinking about putting it on ebay or selling it in the paper. Thanks for the info.

The problem with selling something of that size on ebay is that people have figured out what it costs to ship big stuff. Of course, I bought my Shelby 10-spokes off of ebay when I found out the seller was only three hours away, I made up my mind to bid, and just drive down to pick them up.

Not true. When it comes to shipping, every shipping compay I know of ships by weight and size. For instance, I shipped a fastback trunk lid to Tennessee a couple weeks back and even though the weight was only 34 lbs, the huge size of the box ended up costing me extra. The buyer paid $45 for shipping alone. Doin't take my word for it, you can calculate shipping costs on www.ups.com

Really, it depends on size and weight. The shipping companies use whichever is more money to them.

I'll add a toploader "what is it worth" question. I've got a small input/output toploader that has been modified by Liberty to be a drag only tranny. It's a 2.78 low tranny. I traded a perfectly good Boss 351 toploader, c/i bellhousing, original shifter and linkage, stock flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, mount, and a couple of other Hurst snap in shifters for it from a member. I'm not going to need it now as I was going to put my race 289 in my '63 Fairlane, but now I'm going FE power and will need a Jerico (even David Kee says I will). I plan on keeping my scattershield, aluminum flywheel, and Mr. Gasket Vert-i-gate, so it's just the tranny I really don't need. The guy I got it off of only put about 30 miles on it in his street car and found he just couldn't drive it on the street, the guy he got it off of had it freshly built. It's just been sitting in my garage. David didn't seem interested in it and really wouldn't give me more than a "its worth what somebody will pay for it" sort of an answer (not his exact words, despite the quotes). I've been kicking around Ebaying it.

muddslide said:
I just pulled out my 4 speed topload trans tonight and was wondering what it is worth. The tranny is in great condition and come with all linkage, scatter shield and new hurst shifter and handle. The serial number on the tag reads rug ad 011653. I was told its a close ratio 4 speed. The trans shifts great and was just rebuilt a few months ago. The only reason I pulled it out was I drag racing and need an auto for bracket racing.
Do you still have the Toploader? How many spline output is this? What motor is it off? I'm close (in Savannah) . Thanks, Mike