Whats the best tire combo for a 17/8 rim

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think I'd go wider than a 255. You want wider tires, you'll have to dish out the dough for the wide rims. 265 might fit but will look odd. 275 will just be plain ol' dangerous.

I have 17/8's and asked Steeda about how wide I could go. They suggested that I shouldn't go past 255/45/17 as you don't want the side wall ballooning out past the shoulder of the rim very far as it will not be supporting the tire properly which will contribute to increased sway and poor handling. I put on 255/45/17 Nitto 555 Extremes with very good results.

275's all the way around on my 17x8............no problems, and just to be sure after someone said it was dangerous, i pushed it to the limit....(no squirels hurt durring this) and loved them.....

as far as tire combo............not really sure why people have 2 different sizes......i love having the ability to rotate........saves money, and prolongs tires......and 275's are fine for the cobra, so thats good enough for me...

Cantslowdown said:
So I should go with a 245/40 up front and 255/45s out back?

no. why would you do that? the difference between 245 and 255 isnt that big, so put either 255s or 245s all around. If you were doing something radical like 245 front, 275 rear then i'd say go for it, but 245 front and 255 rear doesnt seem worth losing the ability to rotate tires.

Cantslowdown said:
I just want to be able to look at the back of the car and see some wide tires there.So i might stay with my 275 idea.

if you want a wide "look"
yes... 275s in the rear with a 40 side wall, that's what i'm running and i get a million compliments.

245/255... whichever... in the front, and you're laughing.

ha... ha... ha... :rolleyes:

Learn something new everyday. I still wouldn't go that wide on an 8"....but what do I know.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with that much hang-over on the tire, don't you lose some of the sidewall rigidity....which could cause more flex of the tire in the turns? Which in turn would cause decreased handling and more likely to shred your tire? Guess I just figure if you want the look of the fat tire, why not just buy a 10" rim?

Follow the manufacturer's recommendation. The only 275 tire that I know that is designed for the 8" tire is a Nitto Drag Radial. When you put too wide a tire on too small a wheel, you bow the tread, thus reducing your contact patch. It also changes the angle of the tire on the wheel which itself could be dangerous. You might also run into an issue of an accident is caused by that combination, thus putting you into an insurance issue on the wrong side. Look at the width difference between a 255/45-17 and a 275/35-17. It's only 1 inch or less. Ebay has 18x9.5 wheels for less than $800. Buy them and then get the tires you want.

Just seems like a cheap way to get the look you want. Like spray painting your windows black instead of buying tint....making Mach 1 chin spoilers out of cardboard....chroming my wheels with aluminum foil...

I'm not a believer of 275s on a 17x8 either. I actually bought a pair of 17x9s for my rear axle. I know a lot of people will state they have 275s on 17x8s without any problems but think of the Ford Explorer and Goodyear fiasco a few years back. There were thousands and thousands of these tires running every day without problems. All it took were a few fatal incidents and it was all over. Same thing with 275s on 17x8s. A lot of people get by fine but you are going past what the manufacturer deemed as safe. I don't want to be the few that had issues with it. When it comes to safety, I won't jack around.

To answer the original post, just get 245s or 255s all around for your 17x8s.