What's the ONE thing that Ford did RIGHT on our cars?

Prime Lord

Crappy Default Title
Founding Member
Sep 19, 2000
Denver-ish
We all know these cars have their little nuances. Stuff that shouldn't have been built or designed a certain way. The placement of the heater core in the fox3 comes to mind. BUT....

Its been rainy and crappy here all week, and when I went to go open the hatch the other day it really struck me. "Wow! Ford did a good job designing this hatch to deflect ALL of the standing water down the channels and out over the tail lights so that NO water get inside."

And that got me thinking, what's one thing on YOUR Stang that you really feel Ford got it right (for a change).

• Sponsors (?)

Let me tell you, after building my first 4>8 fox swap car i think ford did alot of things right with how it all fits together rather easily. From the way the engine mounts are designed and slide into place easily, do all the room there is when installing headers, to the ease of tuning up the 5.0 - i should say doing maintenance on it. Try working on the same era camaro or firebird. Took me an hour to change the sparkplugs!!

God i love my car :)

The interchangeability of parts between different models is probably one of its biggest assets. Its very rare that you can't go to a scrap yard and find parts for your Mustang on a Lincoln, T-Bird, Cougar, Fairmont, etc that will work in a pinch. :nice:

Design wise.....I dunno. Most of the things were great for their time. But like anything else, have been improved on over the years. :shrug:

The interchangeability of parts between different models is probably one of its biggest assets. Its very rare that you can't go to a scrap yard and find parts for your Mustang on a Lincoln, T-Bird, Cougar, Fairmont, etc that will work in a pinch. :nice:

Design wise.....I dunno. Most of the things were great for their time. But like anything else, have been improved on over the years. :shrug:

+1!!!!

The one thing they did right was to decide to put a V8 in it. :D
:Word: Were it not for "The Little (v8) Engine that Could" I definitely would not be here. lol I think that goes for most of us though. I get in the car and look around, everything I need is there. Clean, simple, and the only time reliability has been an issue is when my 85GT had electrical gremlins. Other than that, it doesn't get much more rock solid than the 5.0 imo. These cars have stood up to time as well as any others out there and let me tell you, none of my Mustangs have had it easy with me behind the wheel. :lol:

I often think about trying to relocate the heater core the next time it goes south but I can't come up with a better spot. lol