Engine What's This Setup Worth And How Would You Finish It Off?

02 Sonic Blue

Founding Member
Jul 22, 2002
Overland Park, KS
I've been looking for an engine for a project that I have going (coupe). It's going to be strictly a street car. I've found a shortblock for sale locally and wanted to get some feedback on it before I look at it and make an offer. Here are the specs from the for sale ad:

Ford 302 bored 30 over to make a 306.
It is a XXX Block with Long Rods
Diamond Race Pistons
Eagle Rotating Assembly
Main Girdle
ARP Rod Bolts
ARP Main Studs
High Volume Oil Pump
*Everything is new with zero miles
**I also have a Stage 1 Trick Flow Cam

So my questions are, what's this setup worth? And how would you finish it off? My budget for the engine & tranny is around $5000.

Fwiw, I have a set of GT40P heads, GT40 upper/lower intakes and a 65mm TB all from a '99 explorer sitting around collecting dust that could be used on this project if it makes sense.

• Sponsors (?)

depends if i know who did the machine work.

The back story is a bit sketchy. This block was traded for by a local shop, then sold to the guy trying to sell it now. I'm hoping to speak with the shop this afternoon.

They owner said he needs $1800 for it. Seems high to me considering the back story and lack of a detailed build sheet.

Knowing that I have ~$5k for the engine. How would you go about building out the longblock and accompanying pieces?

I would barter the price of the block down a bit, buy some quality heads like afr or something along those lines. Or if you want to save some money get work done on the heads and port the intake. Im hoping my set up runs around 320hp. 306 with gt40p heads with valve job and ported, cobra intake manifold, 70 mm TB, 73 mm MAF, 24lb injectors, trick flow stage 1 cam, 1.6 trick flow RRs, and crane cam valve springs

I have some worked over gt40s on my car now (looking to go 11s na see 11sec gt40 build for details) and I'm looking at building my own turbo kit or doing an on3 after I reach the 11sec na goal and shoot for mid 10s

That setup is worth very little.
You can buy an explorer engine in the junkyard and make the same power for $500 and you don't have to buy or swap heads and intake.
All the fancy internals in the world don't change the fact that the stock block handles 450-500rwhp, expensive parts or stock parts, same results.

On3's quality is questionable at best, some say it's getting better but i'll believe it when i see it.
Adding boost to poor flowing heads isn't always the best idea either.

Srtthis falls into the hardcore racer catergory, so IMO most people that aren't going to put in countless amounts of time in tweaking and practice, aren't going to yield the same results. So while i believe he will get his 11's someday, it will be far from the norm for most here in full weight street cars.
With gt40p heads NA you should expect low 13's.

Me personally as for modding, i wouldn't use gt40 iron heads if you gave them to me for free. They certainly aren't worth investing extra money in to have ported.

Get yourself a good budget shortblock, add afr 165's or twisted wedges with a custom cam and a good intake, should get you in the 325rwhp range, where's the gt40 iron setup is more likely to be around 265rwhp.

When you need more power, get yourself a good ole reliable vortech.

Srtthis falls into the hardcore racer catergory, so IMO most people that aren't going to put in countless amounts of time in tweaking and practice, aren't going to yield the same results. So while i believe he will get his 11's someday, it will be far from the norm for most here in full weight street cars.
With gt40p heads NA you should expect low 13's.

not sure if id throw myself into the hardcore racer group... i dont get as much time to mess with my car as id like and as much as you guys would think . hell as it stands right now i may not get to work on it this week like id like to to run friday night. we have a huge race next weekend 1 melted piston and 1 with a broken ring.