Wheel Size Advice

Lex D

Apr 28, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hi all. My 95 GT is currently riding on 17x8 standard size premium factory wheels with 245/45R 17 tires. I want to change up the dated style, ideally to 18" deep dish Bullitt wheels or even just 17" deep dish Bullitts but I'm trying to avoid any major tweaks to the suspension. My questions are:

1) If I go up to 18" will I need to replace the suspension?
2) Can I keep it at 17" and just go deeper (17x9 in the front 17x10.5 in the back) without changing the suspension?
3) How about just 17x9's all around? Any affect on suspension?

The car rides like a dream with the current wheels so I'm not trying to go crazy, I just want to update the look without losing performance. Any and all comments welcome. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

IMO....go for the 10.5"rears w/ 315/35/17's & 9" fronts with 275/40's... thats what I have on mine. the only thing you will need to do is flip the "quad shocks" in the rear...they have a fat end & a skinny end......just flip them & they won't rub the rear tire.

18" look best on our cars. Especially if you want an updated look.

18x9 or 18x10 will fit just fine in back.

Bullets are too common right now. But unfortunately the new "mustang" wheels are based on the s197 platform....so these new designs dont look as good as the older sn95 (pre 04) wheel designs. Plus there arent a ton of people on the internet who have the s197 designed wheels yet...so its a decision based off photoshopping them on.

And to get outside of the mustang knock off wheels...you're getting into big $$$. Which all of us would love to do...but unfortunately cant always afford it.

I'd go with a 17'x10.5' out back, and a 17'x9' in the front. At worst, you will have to remove or reverse the quad shocks. I personally wouldn't go to the 18's because the tires cost more, and the ride quality is a little worse. But if you think it is worth it for the look, that's just personal preference. Keep in mind, if you go with a staggered wheel, you won't be able to rotate your tires, which is going to severly cut into the life of the tires. Not to deter you, just something you need to be aware of. There are all kinds of wheels available on American Muscle, and on ebay for around $550 for a full set. Shop around, you will most likely find something more appealing than bullets. I have Cobra 'R's on my car, which is so overplayed. But I love the way they look, and they look even awesomer in deep dish.

Kurt

I kind of eliminated the option of going to 18" because the consensus is that it affects the ride quality, and right now the ride quality is like butter. I honestly don't care how played something is as long as I like the way it looks. The only person riding on your Cobra Rs is you. So if you like 'em, nothing else matters. The thing about Bullitts, IMO, is that they look so natural and timeless on any stang. I struggle to understand why the sorry looking Tri-spoke design that's on my car now ever made it out of the factory. Nobody even bothers making knock offs of those. The funny thing is, they're rediculously high quality, they just look like grandma wheels.

But check this out, I went to American Muscle to check out the FR500s on Stroker's recommendation and this is the first picture I saw. Is it a sign? Amazing. Saved me time in photoshop. You're right Stroker, they're sweet. I'm gonna photshop the Bullitts on to my ride next. I'm still wide open so keep the suggestions coming! On the subject of rotating tires on the staggered set up: It's something I'm still thinking about. In the end, vanity might win that battle... after all I'm already giving up the 18's ;)

Thanks fellas.

Attachments

• viewsingle.jpg
    viewsingle.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 94
But check this out, I went to American Muscle to check out the FR500s on Stroker's recommendation and this is the first picture I saw. Is it a sign? Amazing. Saved me time in photoshop. You're right Stroker, they're sweet. I'm gonna photshop the Bullitts on to my ride next. I'm still wide open so keep the suggestions coming! On the subject of rotating tires on the staggered set up: It's something I'm still thinking about. In the end, vanity might win that battle... after all I'm already giving up the 18's ;)

Thanks fellas.

those FR's in the pic aren't even deep-dish.....deep dish look so much better... I like the painted rims better than the chrome because the polished lip stands out & gives the wheels a nicer look IMO. & chrome requires more maintinence/care if I remember correctly. just my .02

.....deep dish look so much better... I like the painted rims better than the chrome because the polished lip stands out & gives the wheels a nicer look IMO. & chrome requires more maintinence/care if I remember correctly. just my .02

Dude. I am officially torn. Check out this customer pic. Looks amazing with the red... and it's not even sunny out.

Attachments

• FR500onRed.jpg
    FR500onRed.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 80
I love my FRs, but am not a big fan of chrome ones. They have too many angles for chrome to really stand out. I was thinking about doing black chrome, but if your set on 17s, then thats out of the question.