• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Wheels

  • Thread starter Thread starter jhbus
  • Start date Start date Apr 1, 2005
J

jhbus

New Member
Apr 1, 2005
36
0
0
Apr 1, 2005
#1
  • Apr 1, 2005
  • #1
Ok, I know there are several posts very similar to this, but I still can't find the exact info I need. I am hoping someone can lead me correctly. I have a 67 coupe. I want to put 16 inch wheels on it. I want to widest possible, and don't care if my fronts are different than the rears. I've seen the charts, but don;t know if they are acurate, and I assume that they are using the widest posible for the front. I hear that some people are using 9.5 inch wide tires in the rear, that would be great, but I don;t want anything to rub. It has basically stock suspension, front is lowered about an inch, rear is stock height (I just got 5 leaf springs for it, standard eye). Thanks for your help!
 

68keyblr

20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 17, 2003
946
20
49
Arizona
Apr 1, 2005
#2
  • Apr 1, 2005
  • #2
Wide tires

jhbus said:
Ok, I know there are several posts very similar to this, but I still can't find the exact info I need. I am hoping someone can lead me correctly. I have a 67 coupe. I want to put 16 inch wheels on it. I want to widest possible, and don't care if my fronts are different than the rears. I've seen the charts, but don;t know if they are acurate, and I assume that they are using the widest posible for the front. I hear that some people are using 9.5 inch wide tires in the rear, that would be great, but I don;t want anything to rub. It has basically stock suspension, front is lowered about an inch, rear is stock height (I just got 5 leaf springs for it, standard eye). Thanks for your help!
Click to expand...

I put 17x8's, 235 mm wide (9.25") on the front and back, and the fit in the front and rear are just fine (Plenty more room in the rear). I had to use 1" wheel adapters on the front to get the wheels to clear the upper control arm.

Be prepared for a major increase in bump steer if you still have stock suspension and steering box. A bumpy or 'groovy' road will push you all over the place

Good luck!
 
J

jhbus

New Member
Apr 1, 2005
36
0
0
Apr 2, 2005
#3
  • Apr 2, 2005
  • #3
Cool, the more posts I read, the more I think I want to go with 17's anyway. What size tires are you using?
 

68keyblr

20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 17, 2003
946
20
49
Arizona
Apr 2, 2005
#4
  • Apr 2, 2005
  • #4
jhbus said:
Cool, the more posts I read, the more I think I want to go with 17's anyway. What size tires are you using?
Click to expand...

I'm using 17 x 45 x 235's on all four corners. I'd probably go to 255s in back next time, and maybe 40's on the sidewall. I'm really happy with the stance though...it looks good (imho). Check out my garage to see a pic
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Considering widening my rear wheels, would like to verify my thoughts on fitment
  • 2000xp8
  • Jul 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
37
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
B
Tire size question 1986 gt hatchback
  • B0udreaux
  • Jan 12, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
776
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 17, 2026
B0udreaux
B
Cobra Brake Conversion - Spare Wheel/Tire Search
  • AeroCoupe
  • Aug 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
409
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 2, 2026
AeroCoupe
G
Fox Tire Size for 16" Pony Wheels on 1984 LX Convertible
  • gw7
  • Jun 24, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
182
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 25, 2026
Qtrhrse23
305-45-17 tires on Pony wheels (17")?
  • TTSaleen
  • Mar 1, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
783
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 25, 2026
TTSaleen
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?