Where can I buy a king cobra clutch

AnthonyA1234

Aug 17, 2020
Florida
Anyone know somewhere I can buy an authentic king cobra clutch? I see in all the threads everyone recommends it but I can’t find them on the internet. All I see are counterfeit looking ones. If anyone knows a place I can buy a legit one or can post a link it’d be much appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

They where made by valeo and most sold them under the valeo part number vs the marked up frpp branding, not sure if the pressure plate is no longer offered or its a covid deal like so many others but searching Google shows no stock anywhere. the center force version of it with the centrifical assist is still available at some places. I would stick to Well known shops or call some ford racing dealers to see if they had any old stock or just get a dual friction if you want that lighter effort pressure plate. Ram has a similar hdx clutch as another option. I always just bought a valeo HD plate and a dual friction disc EBay and Amazon are flooded with counterfit valeo products these days so I would avoid any sellers out of CA offering a cheap version of it, high chance its a Chinese counterfeit.

They where made by valeo and most sold them under the valeo part number vs the marked up frpp branding, not sure if the pressure plate is no longer offered or its a covid deal like so many others but searching Google shows no stock anywhere. the center force version of it with the centrifical assist is still available at some places. I would stick to Well known shops or call some ford racing dealers to see if they had any old stock or just get a dual friction if you want that lighter effort pressure plate. Ram has a similar hdx clutch as another option. I always just bought a valeo HD plate and a dual friction disc EBay and Amazon are flooded with counterfit valeo products these days so I would avoid any sellers out of CA offering a cheap version of it, high chance its a Chinese counterfeit.
Would you know if this one is it?

Would you know if this one is it?

That's the HD pressure plate kit not the lighter pedal effort king cobra, finding the king cobra from ford racing wil be extremely hard since its not available from them currently, its the same part number ending in C302. M-7560-C302 so would be in stock parts at dealers only. valeo may have discontinued the pressure plate or ford racing may have dropped it I'm not sure to be honest. The finger design of the presure plate did change over the years even on the ford racing branded ones so they may have rolled the design into one by now.

This is what the last frpp branded king cobra I bought looked like, branded both ford and valeo but it was a long time ago from downs ford when they where vending at a local event, came in ford racing box. Valeo changed there part number system and have updated some pressure plate designs since then, its also been a while since I peiced together a clutch using that pressure plate. Most advertising a "king cobra" these days are selling a generic disc packaged with a valeo FDC-09 pressure plate, valeo has 3 pre packaged signiture clutch kits and sell all the parts in bulk to retailers who peice them together cheaper. part# 62672006, 15% clamp load, 62672005, +20% clamp load 62672004 the "Hd" 20% clamp load with a "heavy pedal". The 62672006 would be the closest to the old ford racing king cobra kit but its also impossible to find. Best bet would be to contact one of the well known transmission shops like Hanlon or D&D and ask what they recommend these days.

I would will say 95% of heavy clutch complaints are from :poo:ty aftermarket clutch cables in my opinion. Even the ford racing ones, but I learned to drive a stick in one of these cars with a :poo:ty adjustable cable and the HD kit back in the 90s. I hated how heavy it was and snapped my fair share of :poo:ty cables before gong to oem cables. The clutch always felt fine with an oem ford cable from a 96-04 car.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Listed as a 52672006, but probably the same thing.

The other two:

clutches.jpg

I know the prices are in CDN but they work out to $189 USD for the 2005 and $202 USD for the 2004 unit.
That's the oem replacement line, the pressure plate might be these days though, but the disc and bearing aren't. Been ages since I bought one. Valeo also has a d/f centrifugal "pro line" clutch that starts with 700 part number or at last they did, was stupid expensive back then. If you look at the promotion one on eBay you will see the orig king cobra design with the stamped fingers to control the clamp force of the Fdc41n pressure plate which was a lot lighter then the HD plate, all the real cheap generic ones I've seen have the fdc09 plate or a LUK pressure plate and a chinese friction disc.

That's the oem replacement line, the pressure plate might be these days though, but the disc and bearing aren't. Been ages since I bought one. Valeo also has a d/f centrifugal "pro line" clutch that starts with 700 part number or at last they did, was stupid expensive back then. If you look at the promotion one on eBay you will see the orig king cobra design with the stamped fingers to control the clamp force of the Fdc41n pressure plate which was a lot lighter then the HD plate, all the real cheap generic ones I've seen have the fdc09 plate or a LUK pressure plate and a chinese friction disc.
So if I buy that one you linked that’s on eBay, that’s the old school king cobra one I’m looking for correct?

They made a few versions of the old KC kit. Depending on the pressure plate and disks they had different pedal effort and different holding power.

I have the M-7560-C302 kit which I bought back in 2008 and is the reduced pedal effort version. The pressure plate and clutch disk are made by Valeo. The throwout bearing was Ford which is still available separately ( M-7548-A)

The later KC was part number M-7560-C302N but is now discontinued from ford.

Not sure of that disk part number is really legible or usable.
5F82C390-4AF4-41BD-89E0-C23D53B5B7C7.jpeg

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
They made a few versions of the old KC kit. Depending on the pressure plate and disks they had different pedal effort and different holding power.

I have the M-7560-C302 kit which I bought back in 2008 and is the reduced pedal effort version. The pressure plate and clutch disk are made by Valeo. The throwout bearing was Ford which is still available separately ( M-7548-A)

The later KC was part number M-7560-C302N but is now discontinued from ford.

Not sure of that disk part number is really legible or usable.
5F82C390-4AF4-41BD-89E0-C23D53B5B7C7.jpeg
I got a couple of the those disc new still floating around in a box some where. after 2009Ish or the c302 was a pita to get and the knock offs started so most of my cars got the heavy a302 pressure plate and d/f disc
Ok yea I’ll call them tomorrow. On their website there’s a king cobra and a super king cobra and the one on eBay is a super as well. Is the super king cobra better or should I get the KC? My car is just a street cruiser I don’t do any tracking.
Tell Walt what you want, power level wise and make sure to tell him you want the lightest pressure plate feel if that's what your after he will hook you up, I just linked the eBay one to show the orig king cobra pressure plate since it was pictured and doesn't look like a generic stock photo Some of his blue printed ones where even lighter but held more power.

Yes but its cheaper on his website so you may want to call them...
So I spoke to Walt and he told me the standard king cobra 370hp is what I’m looking for. He said it’s a good clutch with a nice pedal feel. He told me I may want to consider the super king cobra in case I ever want to add more power however I don’t have any plans on adding more power in the future so I just went ahead and ordered the standard king cobra clutch.

Attachments

• 017AA190-70C1-499C-9CAF-7E0C2A609632.jpeg
    017AA190-70C1-499C-9CAF-7E0C2A609632.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 112
Clutch just came in today. Is this the real deal?

Attachments

• 88DEA9DC-82D4-406F-B264-FC8311DFFBEB.jpeg
    88DEA9DC-82D4-406F-B264-FC8311DFFBEB.jpeg
    647.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 1CFD7A20-8A27-497C-863D-F0617EB280EC.jpeg
    1CFD7A20-8A27-497C-863D-F0617EB280EC.jpeg
    599.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 93F9700B-EE08-4604-B8C8-26D6DAD8192D.jpeg
    93F9700B-EE08-4604-B8C8-26D6DAD8192D.jpeg
    846.5 KB · Views: 115
  • BB81449A-325F-46A1-A0F3-E525ECF44F8F.jpeg
    BB81449A-325F-46A1-A0F3-E525ECF44F8F.jpeg