Where can i get a complete granada break system...

66 flatz

Jan 21, 2010
Irvine
I have a 66 289 and I am looking to swap the drum brakes with the discs from a granada. where would the best place to be to get them. I am going to pick a part but that may fail. Any Ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

You would be WAY better off getting a stock 66 OE style kit. You'll save a ton of work because you won't need to change the spindles. You also won't have to get a wheel alignment, or new pads, new rotors, etc., to fix up the stuff from the junkyard. Really.

Speaking of, how can you identify the Granada brakes? I kind of wonder if the brakes on my car are actually Granadas. I think can only see a single piston on the caliper and the rotors are 11". Anyone know offhand what the rotor size of 67 OE brakes are?

I did the Granada swap on mine, and I would do it again. I think its great.

I hear good things about discbrakeswap.com.

2+2GT is right though. The OE setup with front discs is a good way to go.

The original K/H style 67 Disc brake rotor will be 11 19/64", Factory Specs.

Same for the 68-73 Single Piston Mustang/Fairlane Disc Brake system.

The Granada will be 11" rotors. None of the Mustang brakes will interchange with Mustang.

The K/H system is thw best option.

Dan @

ChockoStang

Since you asked, there is nothing wrong a granada swap if you buy the newer version that has the bump steer corrected for all the years.

As far as the KH goes, thought a disc brake and drum brake spindle where different ? Why would you have to do a spindle swap on the granada, but not change the drum spindle out ? But CSRP has either version brand new

As far as the KH goes, thought a disc brake and drum brake spindle where different ? Why would you have to do a spindle swap on the granada, but not change the drum spindle out ? But CSRP has either version brand new

The 65-67 K/H caliper attaches to a bracket that bolts to the standard 65-7 drum spindle. This is identical on original disc brakes and retrofit kits.

The floating 68-73 caliper attaches to a bracket that requires a unique disc brake only spindle.

Replacing the spindles is a lot of extra work, not mention it also requires a wheel alignment, adding cost. I would absolutely use the K/H type on any 64-67, and would consider it on a 68-73.

The extra parts and labor required for a Granada swap over using the K/H tend to even out the cost, "jackson0215" has already testified to that.

The K/H setup uses rotors and calipers that will allow keeping most (except some early) standard wheels, and all OE and repro styled steel wheels. The only "period" wheels that will fit are magnums.

That's another hidden cost to the Granada swap, the likelihood of having to replace all your wheels.

The extra parts and labor required for a Granada swap over using the K/H tend to even out the cost, "jackson0215" has already testified to that.
Maybe if we were talking junkyard. But my swap cost me 250. But we are almost always talking about new here, which is why I brought up csrp's stuff. Since cost seems to be a point, it cheaper than SSBC, and comes with a MC. And if you wanted to pay as much as SSBC, you can upgrade his kit to power.
That's another hidden cost to the Granada swap, the likelihood of having to replace all your wheels.
Ah don't scare people now. It only take 15 min maybe to knock spindles off.It fits EVERYTHING except stock steel wheels. But still fits later Ford steelies.Which I don't think 2% of mustang owners have. Any after market wheel will fit it.

Just did Granada swap on my 1970. If you have done any wrenching before swapping out spindles is not a big deal. I am by no means a mechanic and took me about a total 8 hours swap both sides and put new brakes on (with a few beer breaks) Running magnums 500s 15inch. I got a good deal on mine at an auction - all new parts. If I was starting from scratch I would call CSRP ang get a recommendation on one of their kits. Bought some of the missing parts I needed from them. Prices wer better than Autozones. Owner was very accessable & helpful. Quick shipping and good instruction on swap on their website. Highly recommended.

I got 4 wheels disc power brakes for far less than the kit costs for the front w/o booster. Four crossdrilled rotors, front and rear loaded calipers and spare rotors, four brake hoses, emergency brake cables, MC and booster off junkyard, custom brackets for OE spindles, summit proportioning valve. $310 total, still missing dust shields and new brake lines. Granada spindles are better than mustangs and not that cheap if you have them use them with Pbr caliper.

Not if you buy the brand new spindles from CSRP. His is corrected specifically for the 64-66. :nice:

Depends which kit you get. The CSRP SWAP.2311 has the 68-73 single piston floating caliper, and includes spindles. However, the CSRP SWAP.1311 has the OE style four-piston fixed calipers, and uses OE style brackets to attach the calipers to the standard 64-66 V8 spindle. Same cost either way, and no doubt about it, I'd use the SWAP.1311 OE style. Arguably better brakes, easier to install.