Where do you guys launch with your stock AOD converter?

Kdubslugga

Jun 7, 2003
Akron, OH
I believe im having problems with my master cylinder, i cant bring the RPMs past 1500 rpm without the whole car moving forward, it feels like the rear brakes just arent up to par. I have a stock convertor and asked a guy at the track where he launches at and he says he can bring his rpms up to 2000 sometimes even 2100 before he starts to smoke his tires. If that is true i think that extra 600 rpm at launch would really help my ET's and my 60fts. Also when i sit in a rock driveway with my foot on the brake my rear tires just spin and dig themselves into a rut. So should i be able to launch at around 2000 rpm with a stock convertor???

• Sponsors (?)

Well ive got some issues to work out anyways, my best ET is 13.8 at 100.5 i didnt update yet, but i went last Tues and was hitting high 14's again at 97mph. My 60s are aweful 2.3 and 2.4 again this is with the ET Streets with no spin, its just bogging of the line, its not the tires cause it does it on street tires as well. I know if i can get this thing running right i can hit mid 13's as is because my 60ft on the 13.8 was 2.1 something so theres still room to improve on that! Just wondering what are some recommendations for a stall, like whats a good stall for a weekend street toy, i was looking at maybe a 2400, i think 3000 may be too much for my needs does anyone offer anything in between??

well, i have cobra brakes, and my car does not move...at any rpm.

highest i can get my converter to stall before the rear tires spin, about 1600-1700 (ok, about 1900 on HOT ASS pavement)....
I have always had better results by letting the car idle, and mashing the throttle on the last yeller light. flashes and goes....

as for a converter with a stock motor, anytheing less than 2600 is a waste of your money. i would recommend 2600-2800 for a stone stocker, and 2800-3200 for a normal bolt on car....

You're right in the ballpark for a stock converter. If you're looking to bog less at the line, try airing up the tires a bit more. Go up 2 pounds from what you are running now and keep going up until they start spinning too much. A little (very little) spin on your car would probably help get the rpms up quicker.

As far as a stall converter, Edge, 3000 all the way. RSW and I both run one and it is awesome. You've already got the good tires to take full advantage of the increased stall at the track and on the street it drives as close to stock as can be. You may even forget it is in there. www.edgeracingconverters.com

davs5.0 said:
You're right in the ballpark for a stock converter. If you're looking to bog less at the line, try airing up the tires a bit more. Go up 2 pounds from what you are running now and keep going up until they start spinning too much. A little (very little) spin on your car would probably help get the rpms up quicker.

As far as a stall converter, Edge, 3000 all the way. RSW and I both run one and it is awesome. You've already got the good tires to take full advantage of the increased stall at the track and on the street it drives as close to stock as can be. You may even forget it is in there. www.edgeracingconverters.com

tell him dav if hes gone 13.8 with the stock converter hes way ahead of most. my best was high 13.9s 1/4 and 8.9's 1/8 with stock converter. that was when it still had ps,ac and fog light bracing.

Kdubslugga said:
I believe im having problems with my master cylinder, i cant bring the RPMs past 1500 rpm without the whole car moving forward, it feels like the rear brakes just arent up to par. I have a stock convertor and asked a guy at the track where he launches at and he says he can bring his rpms up to 2000 sometimes even 2100 before he starts to smoke his tires. If that is true i think that extra 600 rpm at launch would really help my ET's and my 60fts. Also when i sit in a rock driveway with my foot on the brake my rear tires just spin and dig themselves into a rut. So should i be able to launch at around 2000 rpm with a stock convertor???
2000rpm is WAY too much converter!! Bring it up just past idle then nail it :nice: People who have edge converters swear by the 3000 stall,I cant argue that because I never tried one :shrug: I do know that Precision Industries makes one of the best converters for 5.0's (stallion) www.converters.com I have a 2800 stall and it "is" a little too big..A 2400 is perfect :nice: But they are pricey!!