Where should my timing be set...

roush 97

Aug 28, 2003
Illinois
I haven't done this yet, how much should I bump my timing? I have few mods that are listed below. I've read on here about anywhere from 10 to 14. I don't want it to ping. How much more power will I get out of it? 5-10?

• Sponsors (?)

This is a loaded question, you know.

It all depends on the engine, quality/grade of fuel, and driving style/habbits. Typicaly with high grade 91 you can get at least 12, sometimes up to 15. With good 93 you may have little problem with 15 or never be able to run past 12.

My suggestion it put a full tank of the typical gas you would buy, drive the way you would normaly, take you timing light with you and make adjustments between short drives, slowly working your way up a degree at a time until you get ping, then back off a degree. This can be done in about an hour of drive time, as the engine is getting worked and is warm as you get to the max acceptable timing, you know it is safe for daily driving. I have seen way too may people set the timing up and think it's great until they drive it hard for a while and then get a bunch of ping.

jd351 said:
This is a loaded question, you know.

It all depends on the engine, quality/grade of fuel, and driving style/habbits. Typicaly with high grade 91 you can get at least 12, sometimes up to 15. With good 93 you may have little problem with 15 or never be able to run past 12.

My suggestion it put a full tank of the typical gas you would buy, drive the way you would normaly, take you timing light with you and make adjustments between short drives, slowly working your way up a degree at a time until you get ping, then back off a degree. This can be done in about an hour of drive time, as the engine is getting worked and is warm as you get to the max acceptable timing, you know it is safe for daily driving. I have seen way too may people set the timing up and think it's great until they drive it hard for a while and then get a bunch of ping.

well said. each motor will be different. i often dont use a light - just advance a smidge at a time till it pings and then back it off (since there is no absolute number that is right for everyone, it does not really matter. i do check for my own edification once i get it where i like it). things like operating temps, ambient temps, chamber deposits, fuel grade and quality, etc all affect when it will ping.

Yeh HISSIN50, I agree, I also like to know where I end up too.

Another reason to know where you end up is also a good reason why there are no hard and fast numbers. The harmonic damper inertia ring (outer ring) may have moved (spun).

My brother had an old 302 that would never run past 0, ended up finding out the outer ring on the damper was off and his timing was more like 14 all along!