Where To Buy Backing Plates?

OneWheelPeel

Dec 23, 2015
North Carolina
Where can I find backing plates for my drum brakes? One side is bent and I need a replacement but can't find one for sale anywhere. I've called junkyards and auto parts stores and can't find anything online.. Any idea where to find one??

• Sponsors (?)

With the amount of people converting to rear disks, I'd imagine someone has some kicking around. You just have to put up a few more feelers.

The rear drums are 9" and the same on the 4cyl and v8 Mustang.

Are they the same part or will it need to be modified? And what years would I want to look for?

Not 100% sure. I want to say they are the same. late 80's vintage is what you want, 4 cyl model. The v6's got the larger 10" drums.

Honestly, I'd hold out for the correct Mustang specific parts. I'm not 100% the ranger drums are identical

Alright thanks for the info. I'll try to see what I can find about that.

Hey man, I think I may have some laying around. If not a friend of mine does. I'm headed out of town in the morning and won't be back until Sunday. If it can wait until then I'll poke around and see what I have. You can have it for shipping if I still have some.

Hey man, I think I may have some laying around. If not a friend of mine does. I'm headed out of town in the morning and won't be back until Sunday. If it can wait until then I'll poke around and see what I have. You can have it for shipping if I still have some.
I would greatly appreciate that! I remember you mentioned being in Texas. Are you still there?

Reactions: 1 user
If i'm not mistaken you are interested in a supercharger, correct?

Consider putting the SC temporarily off and switching to rear discs first. If I remember correctly (and I may not been a long time since I had rear drums) all the rear hardware is mounted to the backing plate and the axles have to come out. I can't imagine doing all that work and not doing rear discs, which is probably up there with the top fox mods like subframe connectors and gears.
Rebuilding fox drums is like throwing money in the trash.

Last edited:

Consider putting the SC temporarily off and switching to rear discs first. If I remember correctly (and I may not been a long time since I had rear drums) all the rear hardware is mounted to the backing plate and the axles have to come out. I can't imagine doing all that work and not doing rear discs, which is probably up there with the top fox mods like subframe connectors and gears.

I understand where your coming from and I appreciate it. I however feel content with the brakes for now and the supercharger isn't a near future purchase just yet... Maybe one day I will convert them to disks but not yet.

Last edited:
Drum brakes still stop dump trucks every day ;shrug

Drum brakes are OK if adjusted correctly...but that means no power braking burnouts.

Drum brakes still stop dump trucks every day ;shrug

Drum brakes are OK if adjusted correctly...but that means no power braking burnouts.

If we're referring to heavy duty trucks - s cam brakes are much better then standard drum brake design on a car or pickup ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user