Where to buy Heater Hoses that fit?

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
I went to Advance Auto, and their computers do not list 91 53.0's with AC. They do show NO AC, but the hoses do not look like a match. Their people looked at me like "what's a book?" when I asked for the parts catalog to check for parts not listed in the computer. I want the hoses that attach the the heater core and the one that goes from the pump to the tubes. Where should I buy them???? Napa, Carquest or catalog?

• Sponsors (?)

Did you try ford? That's where i get all my hoses when available.
You would be surprised how much stuff ford still stocks for 5 liter mustangs.

+1 to the above. They're less than $10 from Ford and it's the right part.
No longer $10 from Ford if $35 from LMR.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-18472A-K/86-93-Mustang-50L-Heater-Hose-Kit

BTW, Ford doesn't stock much for 20 year old cars. If it's the same part number for a 10 year old vehicle, they might have it at the distributor, so it still takes a day to get it. The dealers stock almost nothing because it costs money to keep parts in inventory.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-18472A-K/86-93-Mustang-50L-Heater-Hose-Kit

BTW, Ford doesn't stock much for 20 year old cars. If it's the same part number for a 10 year old vehicle, they might have it at the distributor, so it still takes a day to get it. The dealers stock almost nothing because it costs money to keep parts in inventory.

There is no way to speculate ford pricing based on aftermarket prices. Sometimes the ford parts are way higher (like alternators and radiators), but believe it or not, sometimes they are lower.
There is also a couple places on the internet that sell ford parts 10% above cost, which sometimes nets you a seriously low price.

Not in stock? If you got time to make an internet post and wait for a reply, you have time to wait until tomorrow for the part from ford.

Most ford parts last 20 years before needing replacement, with aftermarket parts, you are lucky to get 3-5 years.

Hmm... I'll have to tell my buddy that works the parts counter of my local dealer that he's doing it wrong.

Bear in mind that LMR buys their OEM stuff from Ford, then marks it up. I have bought many parts over the counter at the dealer for much less than LMR sells them for in the last few years. Among them: hoses, belt mouldings for the doors, the scalp mouldings over the door openings, tune-up parts and all kinds of brackets and bits for my AOD/T5 swap.

THE LOCAL FORD DEALER HAS A PARTS MANAGER WHO DOES NOT WANT TO SELL OVER THE COUNTER!!!!! He has been about as rude as can be. I bought a new vehicle there, and used to have another car serviced there when I did not want to crawl under it. (That was most of the time). He is still super rude and lazy about letting you know the part is in, thenmakes rude comments that he was ready to send it back since you did not get it sooner.

I will use duct tape and roll heater hose before I see him first. I wish it was different!

Thank you for other recomendations. After 22 years, I do not trust the hoses, especially since one left trails down the outside of the firewall. It has been tightened, but I still am loosing a little coolant somewhere. Not enough to smell and not enough to make the exhaust go white, but the tank is getting lower over time anyway. I bet it is a high RPM leak somewhere like on one of my SHO's million little hoses. Might as well go for the cheap and likely answer first since I have no leak tester. Besides, I like blue.