where to get gears done?

• Sponsors (?)

You can save yourself some money by buying the gears and install kit from a company called "Drivetrain Direct" They are in Carona I think.
They have great prices and a large selection of gear mfgs and ratios.
I paid $189.00 for the gears and the kit.
ordered it on a monday and received it on a wednsday.
They advertise in MM&FF's and 5.0 all the time.
They do installs also but they may be a ways from you.

slo65 said:
thanks guys, have any of you personally had your guears done there? if so how much? the 600 is a bit steep right now i thought it'd be in the 4something range

I have not done my gears yet. I was quoted $400 in labor cost by XMP plus parts. I think that is about average for a good reliable shop for installation cost.

Islander03GT said:
While you're at it, buy your own steak at vons, then ask a restraunt to cook it for you!

It's a little different.
Shops charge alot of money for labor. Why should you also pay them a big (sometimes 70%) mark up on the parts also?
If your shop will not let you do this, you're going to the wrong place.
I have done all the work on my car myself (with my Bro Mike) except my gears.
If you like to bend over for some shop each time that's your choice.
Iwouldn't diss some guy for trying to be smart about it.

L8 MUSL said:
It's a little different.
Shops charge alot of money for labor. Why should you also pay them a big (sometimes 70%) mark up on the parts also?
If your shop will not let you do this, you're going to the wrong place.
I have done all the work on my car myself (with my Bro Mike) except my gears.
If you like to bend over for some shop each time that's your choice.
Iwouldn't diss some guy for trying to be smart about it.

9/10 shops are going to give you a better deal for buying the parts through them. If you bring your own parts, the labor will be marked up compared to what it would be if you get the parts through them.

Maybe since my grandfather owned a garage back in Pittsburgh I see it differently, but the parts are part of their livelihood. I'd rather keep the mechanic happy, buy the parts from him, and know that if something goes wrong, he's not going to say, "Its not my fault, its those ****ty ebay gears you brought me"

You call it bending over, I call it covering my ass.

fyi, most shops wont give a discount on parts you buy from them. most shops don't have a full time gear guy, so they outsource someone to come in on certain days. I don't care about making some mechanic happy by buying parts from them(what have they done for me lately?). It should be appreciated that I bring my stang to them to work on. btw, I have new in box 4.10 fms gears for sale. $150

Islander03GT said:
You call it bending over, I call it covering my ass.

Good pun.

The shop I went to was very up front about it. He said if I could get a better deal on the gears good for me.
He would NOT adjust his rate to make more money off of me because I didn't buy the gears from him. That would be a shop I would avoid at all cost.
I personally would only bring my gear install to a shop that specializes in them (Oceanside Driveline, doing drivetrain work for over 30 years) and I never said anything about using any "cheap" gears. I used US GEARS. The same gears they install all the time.
He totally backs up his work, the gears have their own garuntee.
The place I mentioned to purchase the gear set from sells FMS, Richmond, US, and a few other top quality gears.

I bought my gears from someone on this sight, but unfortunately i forgot what their name is. Just do a classifieds search. I got 3.73 Motorsports for $118 shipped. I had them installed by RamJet RearEnd in Sun Valley for $200 flat. They installed them in less than an hour and a half and did a good job. If you want their number just email me or something, here's my email [email protected]. Good luck!

J&S Gear Company in Huntington Beach.

They installed my 31-spline axles, torsen diff, 4:10's, and TA Cover. THey did an excellent job...no gear whine, no leaks. Also, their prices were great and they finished in a day. They specialize in gears so they know what they are doing.

Good luck!

Norm

thanks guys for the responses, how much did it cost you guys for all of you who had them put in? a local guy told me gears + install for like 6something, chicane told me if i dont need to replace wheel bearings then like 6something, if i do... then 8 something, i think thats a bit high, i was looking for something along the lines of 4something for gears + install

slo65 said:
thanks guys for the responses, how much did it cost you guys for all of you who had them put in? a local guy told me gears + install for like 6something, chicane told me if i dont need to replace wheel bearings then like 6something, if i do... then 8 something, i think thats a bit high, i was looking for something along the lines of 4something for gears + install

Chicane is expensive. Also, check other folks regarding Chicane's timeliness. They do good work but I have heard they take their time (probably since they're so busy). Joe is a good guy though.

Changing your axle bearings and seals is good preventative maintenance depending on how many miles you have on your car. The parts aren't that expensive (check on line) and the incremental labor is very minimal.

Like I mentioned above, you may want to go to a place that specializes in gears/drivetrain. That way you get mechanics that do gear swaps all day long with all the necessary specialized equipment, extra parts, etc.

My job, which didn't include gears (got mine on eBay with my Torsen diff) but included brand new Superior 31-spline axles and axle bearings & seals, cost around $650. The axles were more expensive than gears so you shouldn't be paying more than that range unless you are getting ripped off. On a side note, I took my car in the morning, they were done by the afternoon.

Good luck,

Norm