Where to mount Steeda Oil Seperator???

• Sponsors (?)

On the 94, I put the air/oil separator on the pass side firewall - just what worked mounting and plumbing-wise. Do you have any funky stuff in the engine bay that keeps ya from using the firewall area away from the wiper motor?

Good luck.

Not to poke my nose in. Found this an interesting idea. Did a little reseach found it to be the same as the oil seperator units we use in our compressed air system at work. They come in all sizes and prices. Clear bowls, black bowls and metal bowls. From what I use at work you can go down to 1 micron to catch the most oil. We also use units with auto drains so we don't have to dump them. Also we use sintered bronze filter units(which would look cool in a clear bowl on a car). And the white filters. The white ones get to looking nasty after awhile.

68Torino, are you real sure on that? It is something I have wondered for some time.
The one caveat - Rob pointed out that the CH unit that some of us use has a warning to not use synthetic oil (I assume in regard to synthetic air-tool oil, but I might [incorrectly] assume that motor oil would also be an issue. I have no idea of synthetic air tool oil is hydrocracked, PAO based, etc......).

Between that and the temp warnings (I am doing the 'high desert testing' on mine right now. It has seen 115*F ambient temps - it has a warning for 150*F max temps I think), and not having had or seen a Steeda unit, I had no idea if they were apples to apples.

Very interesting and thanks for posting! Please post more info and/or thoughts if you have them. :nice:

HISSIN50 said:
On the 94, I put the air/oil separator on the pass side firewall - just what worked mounting and plumbing-wise. Do you have any funky stuff in the engine bay that keeps ya from using the firewall area away from the wiper motor?

Good luck.

did you use the steeda kit or did you use a kit that goes on a air compressor or whatever. ive got one of those inline carb fuel filters after my pcv valve and it doesnt seem to work very well

ECU5.0 said:
did you use the steeda kit or did you use a kit that goes on a air compressor or whatever. ive got one of those inline carb fuel filters after my pcv valve and it doesnt seem to work very well
Man, I am way too poor for that dedicated air/oil separator. :lol:

I have a CH unit for air tools. 12 bucks at wally mart (I checked one home store and they did not offer a slightly larger version, as some people have reported. Probably a regional or store thing).

With your set-up bud, I wonder if the fuel filter might work better if augmented with a cheapo catch can (even made from an old soup can if need be). Even though the atmosphere inside the can is turbulent, it still knocks down a lot of the oil that makes it that far.

JT is spot on. Loads of people have done it, the cheaper way.

I wouldn't worry too much about mounting it. As long as the end links are secured to the hose, I don't think you will have any problems. DMAN302 (Derek) put a seperator on the rear PCV line and the line from the valve cover to the TB. Michael Yount did a good right up for this same situation. When you get time to read it...

Tim

http://www.leemotorsports.com/myount/cpcv.htm

PIcs, this one is the compressor walmart one
461740_137_full.jpg

461740_135_full.jpg

Turns out the pcv screen was the real culprit
461740_136_full.jpg

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I didn't get around to it this weekend because of the other projects I had going on. I still haven't found a real good spot to mount it where I can easily take the catch off and dump it. I'll keep everyone posted and thanks again. BTW - my $60 Steeda item looks EXACTLY like the $15 Walmart version. :nonono:

I hope you dont have to dump it that often. :) I think the air tool versions have a Schrader valve in the bottom, which would make it kind of a pain to drain anyhow (requiring removal of the separator).

Good luck.

As for synthetic oil we use it at work. We have used both the PAO type and a product called Quin-Syn not sure what type it is. We don't have issues with syn oils. Just in our case moisture which makes the oil go snotty yellow. I like the sintered bronze filters becuase you take them out and clean with a degreaser or mineral spirits or acetone and reuse over and over.
As I mention before we use some with auto float drains. When the fluid gets so high it drains.

68torino said:
As for synthetic oil we use it at work. We have used both the PAO type and a product called Quin-Syn not sure what type it is. We don't have issues with syn oils. Just in our case moisture which makes the oil go snotty yellow. I like the sintered bronze filters becuase you take them out and clean with a degreaser or mineral spirits or acetone and reuse over and over.
As I mention before we use some with auto float drains. When the fluid gets so high it drains.
Interesting stuff! Thanks for the reply. That makes me feel better - the synthetics I use are primarily PAO basestock (if not, it would be a Gp III+ which should be even less of an issue). I was worried that the oil would eat through the clear bowl or something. :lol:

I have not thought of sintered bronze filters since people used those things, um what are they called, um.......... Carbs. :D

Thanks again. :nice: