Which 2012 model should I get?

katmando911

Jan 11, 2011
Gilbert, AZ
I currently have a 2001 Automatic Hyundai Tiburon (140hp) with 17" wheels and an aftermarket stereo. It's reached the end of it's warranty so it's time for me to retire it and get a new ride.

I'm really liking the 2012 mustang but I'm trying to decide on which options to get. So far I'm thinking about this:

2012 Mustang V6 Premium (X-Plan Pricing)
- Automatic Transmission
- Rapid Spec - 200A
- Dark Charcoal leather interior
- Kona Blue exterior
- Tape stripe delete
- Electronics package
- 3.31 Limited Slip Differential
- 17" X 7" Machined Aluminum wheels with painted pockets (standard on v6 premium)

Aftermarket parts:
- window tint on side windows 35%
- window tint on rear window 20%
- Spare donut tire for trunk wheel well (can I get this from the dealer?)
- Kona Blue Ford Pedestal spoiler
2010-2011 Mustang GTCS Style Pedestal Wing - Painted
- Kona Blue Razzi 2010 CU Mustang V6 Body kit
2010-2011 Mustang V6 Razzi Body Kit - Painted
- Kona Blue 2010+ Saleen Powerflow hood
Saleen Saleen 2010+ S281 Powerflow Hood Kit
- Procharger 2011 Mustang V6 Supercharger
ProCharger Supercharger Blog » ProCharger System for 2011 V6 Mustang Coming Soon

I think that this would be a great car but there are a few areas where I'm not completely sold yet.

1. The V6 performance pack looks like a great value and I would totally get it if it were offered for an automatic transmission. The wheels alone justify the cost. As it is, I'm considering getting it instead of the automatic transmission but I've never driven stick before and I don't know if I want to learn how to drive on a brand new car. Especially if it's my brand new car ;)
2. The V6 supercharger sounds like an awesome way to get GT horsepower while still keeping the gas mileage and lower insurance rates but I'm worried about it impacting the warranty on the car. Plus, if I just went with the GT model from the start then I could always still add a supercharger to that down the road and get serious HP. Also, it looks like upgrading from the V6 premium to a GT premium would also get me a lot of the stuff that I want from the V6 performance package and the spare tire.
3. With plans to get the V6 supercharger, does it make sense to get the 3.31:1 Limited Slip Differential from Ford? Is that even the gear that would be best with that much horse power or should I just get the stock 2.73:1 differential now and then upgrade it to an even higher ratio later. The cost from Ford for this upgrade seems a little expensive anyway.
4. With those aftermarket kits, does it make sense to order this from Ford now and get a shop to install these kits (leaving me with a bunch of stock parts that I have no use for) or should I wait and try to see if a dealer somewhere starts selling a car with aftermarket parts already installed. Something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-NEW-2011-Ford-Mustang-GT-Premium-Saleen-SALEEN-DEALER-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem256098f32cQQitemZ160534426412QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

PS. It looks like there aren't any incentives for the 2012 models yet. Is that true or are they applying the 2011 incentives (i.e. $1500 cash back) to 2012 model orders?

• Sponsors (?)

Plus, if I just went with the GT model from the start then I could always still add a supercharger to that down the road and get serious HP. Also, it looks like upgrading from the V6 premium to a GT premium would also get me a lot of the stuff that I want from the V6 performance package and the spare tire.

Go this route, the insurance isn't going to be all that much more from just having a Mustang. Mileage on the 5.0 is pretty darn good, and as you say there are options that really make it worth it.
Besides after you get through adding all those options you'll probably spend just about as much. And, if you go with the GT, Warranty won't be an issue until you're ready to blow that off anyway.

If you think you are going to keep the V6 mileage advantage with a supercharger, you will be disappointed. You will likely end up with worse than GT mileage plus you will be burning premium gas, not the regular that the GT can use. If you are already looking for more performance out of the V6 you will be much better off starting with the GT. Resale on a GT will be higher than a supercharged V6 as well. Make sure you do a lot of research before buying parts so you can find parts to meet your goals, also make sure you find the right vendors, there are some out there to avoid.

Insurance cost for a GT is very little more, depending on your driving record. Gas mileage also is quite close to same.
(I once owned a 2003 Mach 1 that actually got better gas mileage than my daughter's 2002 V6 Mustang).
As far as other choices, just one comment. Check the legal tint for windows in your area. Police often enforce these laws and for good reason.
A good friend of mine, a cop, was killed during a "routine" traffic stop. It is safer for all involved if your tint is legal and the police can see who is in the car and what they are doing.

Thanks for the comments.

ct07gt - Is it OK to put 87 gas in a GT? I thought that was a no no

stanmckinney - I'm in AZ and from what I've found the side windows need to let more than 34% light in (hence the 35% tint) but there aren't any requirements on the back window.

I think that I'm going to go down to the dealership tonight and test drive a 2011 GT auto just to get a feel of how it's different from the 2011 V6 auto I test drove last week. Still need to call the insurance company to get some quotes though. I'm hoping it won't be too bad because I shouldn't have anything on my record (not in the past 7 years anyway) but with either model, I'm sure that it's going to be a big jump from what I'm paying right now to insure my old hyundai.

If you are getting a V6, I'd go for the V6 Performance Package. If you have a good mechanical aptitude, you should be able to figure out how to work the clutch pretty quickly. This particular manual is fairly easy as well, with a low first gear, and fairly smooth, short throws (for a factory car anyway). Besides, I test drove an automatic, an that comes with performance sucking programming that is optimized for efficiency that seems out of place on a performance car. Plus, the stock V8 can run on regular if you are willing to live with "only" 402 hp.

If your plan is to supercharge the V6, you'd probably be better just going for the V8 to get the power from the factory. You keep the warranty, maintain long term reliability, and the fuel economy won't really be much different. (26 hwy for V8 vs 29 hwy for stock V6, less if supercharged).

Whether you go with the V6 or V8, I'd say get 3.31 gears either way. 3.31 gears puts you at about 2000 rpm @ 70 mph. Any slower would be too slow for the V6. The V6 auto I test drove had 2.73s, and really felt bogged down in high gear (and even 5th). If you are worried about fuel economy and end up with a V8, I think the standard 3.31s are the best combo of efficiency and performance. That's what I got on mine. The V8 has enough torque to run slow on the highway in high gear without bogging down too much, and the lower ratios in the transmission provide plenty of gear when you want to go harder.

As for insurance, that can vary widely between companies, depending on your driving record, and what state you live in. If you shop around, you should be able to get a decent rate with either the V6 or V8. GEICO is insuring me for about $450 for 6 months for a 2011 GT and my 02 Alero commuter/winter car combined.

I test drove a GT today and I think that is definitely the way to go. It allows me to get a lot of the stuff I was interested in with the V6 performance package while still being able to get an automatic. The auto transmission only comes with 3.15:1 gears with no option to upgrade but I think that it drove just fine and I can always upgrade them down the road if I end up adding on a supercharger.

Also getting a GT opens up some additional options that I was looking for. Here is my revised plan.
First, order this car from Ford:
2012 Mustang GT Premium (X-Plan Pricing)
- Rapid Spec - 401A
- Automatic Transmission
- Dark Charcoal leather interior with white accent
- White exterior
- Spoiler delete
- Tape stripe delete
- Electronics package
- 19" bright machined aluminum wheels

This should set me back about $37K before TTL

Second, have the dealership do these mods before delivery
- window tint on side windows 35%
- window tint on rear window 20%

That will be another $250

Third, have stage 3 motor sports in Phoenix add these mods:
- Razzi GT body kit
- Saleen S281 powerflow hood
- Pedestal spoiler

Since those mods are going to need to be painted and that's half the car anyway, I'm thinking that I might as well go with a custom color for the whole car and really make this stang stand out. I'm thinking that I want some sort of pearlescent tri coat but I'm not sure which color. I need to see some more examples but I really like the Molten Orange Tri Coat on the F-150 Raptor at the dealership.

Ford presents the ultimate off-road experience in the 2010 F-150 SVT Raptor 4-wheel drive pickup - Modesto Autos | Examiner.com

I don't know how much that is going to cost but I sent an email to them asking for a quote. If the cost comes back too high then I think I'll just stick with Kona Blue and pay the dealership $500 for the pedestal spoiler.