Which intake for a nearly stock '94 GT?

• Sponsors (?)

MG-70 said:
Man, just as I thought, no clear answer on what's best even given the application.

Jesse and I both gave you what I think is solid info when we said any of the popular intakes would work fine
for
1) what you are now doing
and
2) based upon what you said about your future plans

IMHO, you would not see 5rwhp diff between any of them.

You said you wanted the biggest gain for the buck spent so find any of the popular intakes you can find ...... used.

If you go with a TFS or Edel ... go for the longer runner upper.
Even if you find a deal on say a Track Heat or RPM ... I'd pass on them for what you wanna do.

Grady

Final 5-0,
I appreciate the info, really, it's that I first stated "aftermarket, bolt-on" and now, am seriously considering porting the original lower intake, which I'm told for my application would probably be just as good as an aftermarket such as the ones you mention. Do you not agree? My other option is just as you say, track down a "mild" used Performer/Typhoon (replacement, correct?) or TFS.

I'll inquire about the cam in a separate post.

Thanks again for your patience and insight!

MG-70 said:
Final 5-0,
I appreciate the info, really, it's that I first stated "aftermarket, bolt-on" and now, am seriously considering porting the original lower intake, which I'm told for my application would probably be just as good as an aftermarket such as the ones you mention. Do you not agree? My other option is just as you say, track down a "mild" used Performer/Typhoon (replacement, correct?) or TFS.

I'll inquire about the cam in a separate post.

Thanks again for your patience and insight!

Tom Moss does a really great job with porting intakes IMHO :)
Many on this site have benefitted from his handy work. One thing I like about how Tom does business is he provides hard data which is necessary to make decisions that will be followed by fruitful results :nice:
as oppposed to
decisions based upon opinions from
what this guy said
or
his brother in law said
or
some long time internet folk lore myth which then yields results that usually turn out less than expected :notnice:

Just go to his site and look at the data to see which option he offers that will meet your combo goals ;)

About that Typhoon ... that is one of the mid length runner intake designs. It is an Edelbrock PPM copy cat from China. It is in that group of intakes that I feel would not be as effective for your needs as the regular Edelbrock Performer which has longer runners. The longer runners will provide more lower end torque but not be as effective at the higher end of the rpm band which you most likely will not exploit anyway.

Again, the TFS Street Heat & oem Ford Cobra intake fall in the same category as the Edel Performer.

So there you have it ........ :D

Port your original
or
Find one of the others

Its good to have options :banana:

Grady