Which is more likely to be leaking oil?

roush 97

Aug 28, 2003
Illinois
Would it be comming from around the crank or from the timing chain cover? I've looked up under the car, and I can't tell for sure where it's comming from. I'm gonna have to do some more investigating tomorrow. The oil is dripping from around the crank, but maybe it's leaking above that? It's not a bad leak, but I hear many replace the timing chain cover gaskets. Do they tend to leak where the cover meets the oil pan? The car has 150K on it.

• Sponsors (?)

roush 97 said:
Would it be comming from around the crank or from the timing chain cover? I've looked up under the car, and I can't tell for sure where it's comming from. I'm gonna have to do some more investigating tomorrow. The oil is dripping from around the crank, but maybe it's leaking above that? It's not a bad leak, but I hear many replace the timing chain cover gaskets. Do they tend to leak where the cover meets the oil pan? The car has 150K on it.

wipe up and around the oil pan drain plug so it's clean. then take a look maybe later that day and check out to see if it's leaking higher up than the oil drain plug. if it is, it's your rear main seal. had that go on me, but i was doing a tranny swap at the time and replaced it so it wasn't that big of a deal. if it is your rear main seal, you have to drop your tranny, bell housing, pressure plate, clutch, and flywheel to get to it. also you have to be careful getting it out because if you damage the metal around the seal, it wont stop leaking and then it becomes fun. good luck

Ummm... Don't think it would be his REAR main seal as he said the oil is under his timing cover. But the rest of your post sounds good I would clean it up good and check it often for a few days to try and isolate it. I have a leak from my rear main seal, a leak around my low oil level sensor and a leak at the front of my intake :rolleyes: ! But they are so small that I still only have to add about a quart between changes. So if it isn't to bad I wouldn't get to bent out of shape about it. I doubt there are many daily driven 5.0's with that kind of mileage without some sort of an oil leak.

It doesn't leak too bad. I don't have to add any oil yet between changes. I was just kind of curious if it would be an easy fix since that's the only leak I got. I hate oil on my garage floor lol. I'm gonna try to get in there and get a better look somehow. With my luck though, I'd fix this one and I'd get another.