Help with coolant leak

95Cobra302

Founding Member
Apr 9, 2002
Daytona Beach, FL
95 Cobra 130k plus miles on factory engine that's almost all original. Have had the car for 23 years. Water pump, timing cover, etc that has never been touched.

Brought it home from errands and noticed puddle of coolant under front driver's side. Looks to be leaking just above oil pan, can't tell if it's coming from the water pump since it's recessed in. Not sure if it's timing cover or head gasket. Pulled dipstick and that's looked good. Any ideas from what y'all can see?

Attachments

• IMG_20240208_132139929.jpg
    IMG_20240208_132139929.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20240208_131847692.jpg
    IMG_20240208_131847692.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20240208_131752093.jpg
    IMG_20240208_131752093.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Sponsors (?)

That lower rad hose looks suspect. I would clean it up best you can( brake or carb cleaner) then dry it up., Next run her till she gets hot and start your investigation.
You can add dye, or even pressure test the coolant system but start with basic shot first.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Trying to get som better pics.
That lower rad hose looks suspect. I would clean it up best you can( brake or carb cleaner) then dry it up., Next run her till she gets hot and start your investigation.
You can add dye, or even pressure test the coolant system but start with basic shot first.
Ok. Lower hose looks all dry didn't see anything on it but I'll try to clean everything and check. Hoping easy fix.

Ok. I got under and checked the hose good. Don't see anything from it or the water pump. You can see seepage from the timing cover where is mates to the block a few inches above the oil pan.

Just rip off that band-aid and do the dealeo. :O_o:

Get a good look around. New gaskets, hoses, clamps, thread and gasket sealant, and perhaps even a new serpentine belt and A/C clutch (depending how thin it is). Don't forget the 50/50 premix and don't bust open any A/C lines by mistake. :)

Reactions: 1 user
No ac, removed it and the smog about 15 years ago. New belt. Weird thing is I've been losing a tiny bit of coolant every couple weeks but never found any leaks anywhere, but you could smell it near the front of the car. Did a pressure check a little bit ago and that came out fine. I thought then it was probably the water pump about to go out soon, since it's darn near 30 years old.

I'm try'n to recall, I've only changed a couple dozen timing covers, the lower bolts on the cover go through into the crank case, I would suspect the water pump leaking at the back.
You need to start with pulling the water pump anyway.

Oil cooler hoses could be seeping as well. I would pressure test again
I deleted the oil cooler setup a long time ago to clean up the engine bay..
I'm try'n to recall, I've only changed a couple dozen timing covers, the lower bolts on the cover go through into the crank case, I would suspect the water pump leaking at the back.
You need to start with pulling the water pump anyway.
Ok. Id be happy if it was just the water pump. What would explain smelling coolant at the front of the car after driving, and losing a tiny bit of it but not seeing any leaks or drips anywhere? Did this for awhile before it actually started pouring out the other day.

Just to update everyone, I got it to leak and saw it coming up a bit higher so put my hand to upper right side of timing cover and seemed to leaking from that. Looked to be the coolant passage area from the water pump and timing cover to the block. Quite relieved to find it, pretty positive that is it, so changing out the timing cover gasket should fix it.

Thanks everyone.