Which to choose? UPR or Magnaflow x-pipe w/cats

Code Red

Jan 5, 2002
Austin, TX
I need new cats for my '95 GT.
I'm debating between the Magnaflow X-pipe w/cats and the UPR x-pipe w/cats. UPR has high flow Cats and supposedly better clearance (which I need since my car is lowered). Will they pass the 'sniff test"?

Magnaflow is stainless steel (I think?) and should last longer, but is cost about $70 bucks more. Do you think it is worth it? Will they flow as good as the UPR?

Which would you recommend?

• Sponsors (?)

The magnaflow X uses some pretty poor stainless so I don't think that should be too much of a consideration. Some people have had fitment problems with their magnaflows too so if it doesn't fit right, don't force it you can damage your header.
Kevin

Thanks.
I'm leaning toward the Magnaflow because:

1. Magnaflow X-pipe has a bar between the two pipes that I read could be connected to the tranny mount to eliminate knocking
2. Magnaflow has the hangar hardware (UPR doesn't)
3. I have magnaflow mufflers and I love 'em.
4. and even though the stainless steel isn't the best, it's pretty cool

Thanks guys

Sicarius428 said:
The magnaflow X uses some pretty poor stainless so I don't think that should be too much of a consideration. Kevin

Kevin-

- this is how rumors get started-

If you consider a custom blend of stainless that took years to develop and is superior to both 409 and 304 a pretty poor stainless- thats great- however I will have to disagree with you-

I am just wondering if someone told you this or if you came to this conclusion on your own?

Anyways back to the subject-

Also Magnaflow has CARB and EPA numbers for the X pipe making it a TRUE 50 state legal piece- The UPR is not EPA and CARB certified to pass emissions-

And as far as hp and torque gains are concered, you will also get more with the Magnaflow as well-

Thank you for the consideration of Magnaflow Performance Exhaust-

Please let me know if you have any further questions-

Brent
Magnaflow Performance

I have installed them twice... including my own car. I can assure you that the x pipe has rust... . Granted stainless does rust but I did expect it to be more resistant. Living in CA this is the only option to pass smog and pass they did with flying colors. Overall I am pleased with the product please don't get me wrong. I am just saying that it was a pain to install... and the stainless isn't as resilient as one might imagine it to be.
Kevin

After reading what said above about the Magnaflows rusting at the X- pipe and since I have the Magnaflow 9332 stainless steel with the X-pipe I decided to jack up my car a few minutes ago and take a look for myself and see if my X-pipe had rusted or not.

What I found was a discoloration from the heat(I'm guessing) on the X-pipe but no rust.
Granted I only have about 8,000-10,000 miles on them and I’m not saying they couldn’t rust all I’m saying is that mine are discolored is all.

After 8K-10K miles
View attachment 491413

Before Installed
View attachment 491414

I like my Magnaflow X.It smoothed out the sound nicely.I haven't seen any rust.The chance of rust through in our lifetime is probably remote.Look at the color of your stock stainless headers.Even though they are discolored after 17 years,I have never heard of them rusting through.Don't expect a gleam from under your car over the long term either.

Code Red said:
Brent,
Thanks. Is it true that the bar between the pipes is for connecting to the tranny mount? I have a SN95 GT with a Tremec 3550.

Yep, that is what it is for-

Discoloration- Yes, our stainless will discolor, as that is the nature of stainless in high temperatures- and seeing as how the converters operate at 900-1200 degrees, that is definitely high temperature-

As you go back further on the system, the exhaust will cool, so that is why most stainless tips will not discolor except once in a while when the car is running an off road pipe because extra heat makes it to the back of the system-

Thanks for your support-

Brent
Magnaflow Performance-

Having fought with my UPR X-pipe for some time now, I'd definitely recommend the Magnaflow. For one, the cats on the Magnaflow are farther back to allow for more clearance, whereas the UPR X has them right where the tranny crossmember humps are, and (on mine) I had to notch out 1" of material from the crossmember just to make the whole deal fit without leaking at the header flange from being at a weird angle. (If they had placed them just an inch or so forward, or closer to the X-over, it wouldn't have been an issue.)

Another issue is that the UPR unit has a two-piece design, by which you have to hang one side, then fiddle around to hang the other, and somehow find a comfortable compromise between where one side wants to sit versus the other. My passenger's side pipe has tons of free room but, as stated, my driver's side cat was (and still is) woefully crammed right up against the crossmember. I literally could not make the thing fit on there AT ALL if I hadn't notched the crossmember, short of pounding a big indentation into the casing of the cat to make it clear. The lack of having to mess with those two stupid hangers in the middle (the two secured at the tranny mount) was a nice bonus, as well as not having to deal with hooking up an A.I.R. tube from the smog pump to the cats (the UPR setup doesn't use the smog pump tube at all), but otherwise ... ugh. Wish to heck I didn't have to have cats at all in my area, or I'd have just gotten the off-road version and been done with it.

As it is now, it still gets a thump here and there against the crossmember, and ground clearance is only about 1" (if even that much) better than the crappy Frankenstein'ed-together H-pipe that it replaced. It does, however, sound VERY nice at WOT, and there is a noticeable gain over the crappy setup I had before.

In hindsight, I wish I'd just spent the extra bucks and gone with the Magnaflow X, or even a plain ol' Catco brand H-pipe, instead of all the crap I had to go through just to make the UPR setup work.

Get Magnaflow XPipe!!! 'Cause i have one for sale!:D From my car, 86-93 w/ Cats, 12,000 miles, any reasonable offer! Mine also has surface rust, but not excessive, i liked the quality of it, but did not like the sound.....went with magnaflow Hpipe, better sound, less topend,but more bottom :shrug:

Update on Magnaflow X-pipe w/cats

Sicarius428 said:
The magnaflow X uses some pretty poor stainless so I don't think that should be too much of a consideration. Some people have had fitment problems with their magnaflows too so if it doesn't fit right, don't force it you can damage your header.
Kevin

Well, I went with the Magnaflow X w/cats. And I must say that I do like the sound.

However, I did have have fitment problems. It was not wide enough and the end was too small to fit properly over the header flange. I called Performance Peddler. They said that I have to get the manufacturer (Magnaflow) to agree that it is a defect then I could get a RMA# to return the unit. I contacted Magnaflow and they said that it didn't fit because I have headers and not the stock manifold. Well, actually, I have Motorsport headers, so it really should have fit.

Usually, I am not one to back a way from a fight. Especially, when I'm right and I've spent my hard earned $$. But this time I weighed the options:
Pay to get it fixed or
spend lots of time and energy getting Magnaflow to agree (which I think they eventually would have. They seem like a honest company). Then I would have to pay for return shipping with no guarantee that the next set would fit any better.
This is one of the downfalls of buying over the internet. You may get better prices but returns can be a nightmare.

Well, I opted to have a local muffler shop fix the problems. So, after some major surgery and a $100 bucks later I have sweet sounding exhaust and lesson learned. I would still buy Magnaflow, but I recommend buying locally or at the very least, understand the return policy before you buy over the internet.

I just put on a VFS X-pipe with Magnaflow cats.The only real mod I have is a Thumper/T-Moss combo.I had the stock H-pipe on till now.WOW!!! Get the Magna Flow and dont look bacK!!:nice:
P.S.-UPR sucks!!