Which Torque Wrench?!

TC00GT

Founding Member
Nov 9, 2000
Auburn, Ma
I'm in need of a torque wrench for the re-assembly of my front end. I haven't looked up all the torque specs yet, but I'm wondering which wrench to get. They come in 3 torque ranges.

25-250 lbs
10-75 lbs
20-150 lbs

I was thinking on the 20-150 lbs one. Will that be good for everything? Do most of the torque requirements fall into that range? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I use a 250-lb Snap-On click-type. This covers pretty much everything suspension and engine-related. I forget the torque-specs of the main bearing caps on my 289 (it could've been around or over 150 ft*lbs), so if you do engine work maybe you'd be better off getting a bigger one. And I'm not expert wrt tools, but I'd guess as far as accuracy is concerned, a good 250-lb wrench should be calibrated to the same (or very close) accuracy as a 150-lb.

Torque wrench

I have two. When I started my front end work on my '68 I had a 3/8 inch drive craftsman that went to 75 ft-lbs. There were some things like TCP strut rods, Piman arm to steering box nut, etc. that it wouln't handle. The steering box to pitman arm nut I torqued to 200 ft-lbs. I went out and bought a Husky 250 ft-lb wrench for that and the strut rods. The front rear spring eye bolt was also 90 ft.-lbs.