• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Which tranny would you get?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rootus
  • Start date Start date Aug 1, 2004

Which would you choose?

  • TKO600

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • T56

    Votes: 15 75.0%

  • Total voters
    20
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2
B

baglock1

The Bartender
Founding Member
Aug 25, 2001
6,612
1
78
Space Coast, FL
Aug 2, 2004
#21
  • Aug 2, 2004
  • #21
HairyCanary said:
T56 gear ratios:
2.97, 2.07, 1.43, 1.00, 0.80, 0.62
Click to expand...

Unless you're talking about the Viper spec T56 (or the GM T56's for that matter).

Viper Spec T56 Ratios:
1st -- 2.66
2nd -- 1.78
3rd -- 1.30
4th -- 1.00
5th -- .74
6th -- .50
 

blksn955.o

Founding Member
Mar 15, 2002
3,263
0
66
st.louis mo 314
Aug 2, 2004
#22
  • Aug 2, 2004
  • #22
ok I have not read too much on the tko500 but if it is the "new" 3550, does it still have the 3550 tail spline count?, what about the clutch spline count. The reason I was leaning to the 3550 was that the rear yoke did not have to be changed, and the clutch did not have to be changed as well. since the 3550 and the t5 had the same splint count on the main shaft (well they were the same shaft). This can save a bit of money on the swap if the tko500 had the same stuff as the old 3550 in this aspect.

In other words 35-50$ up front and $300 or so out the back on odds and ends in savings with the 3550 (type, if the tko500 is in deed the same setup) over the tko600.

Now if you need a new clutch and can get a hook up on the yoke deal then why hell yes I would vote for the tko600.
 

Grn92LX

Fidanza Man!
Founding Member
Jan 14, 2001
6,819
64
129
New York
Aug 2, 2004
#23
  • Aug 2, 2004
  • #23
TKO 500 with a 26 spline input. It has the best over all ratio's IMO. I dont like those weak sub 3.0 first ratio's. I'm going with a regular TKO for my car. Im buying it used from a dude on here, way cheaper than buying new, I cant justify that right now. This one only has 1000 miles on it. I'm getting it for $1100 shipped with a pro 50 shifter.
 

go.rei GT

New Member
Nov 29, 2003
267
0
0
Az
Aug 2, 2004
#24
  • Aug 2, 2004
  • #24
baglock1 said:
Unless you're talking about the Viper spec T56 (or the GM T56's for that matter).

Viper Spec T56 Ratios:
1st -- 2.66
2nd -- 1.78
3rd -- 1.30
4th -- 1.00
5th -- .74
6th -- .50
Click to expand...


That's what I was thinking too.
Isn't the GM T56 weaker than the Viper spec though? Also don't you have to modify something to make it fit our cars?
 

VIPERn94Five-0

Founding Member
Apr 28, 2002
3,352
2
58
Poughkeepsie, NY
Aug 2, 2004
#25
  • Aug 2, 2004
  • #25
id go Viper Spec T56...ive heard nothing but good things about that tranny, and not to mention its just the one I want some day...i dont think you should skimp here...but that being said, i think either way you go you will be happy...

Anthony
 

Rootus

Officially Addicted
Feb 8, 2003
6,659
1
0
Portland, Oregon
Aug 2, 2004
#26
  • Aug 2, 2004
  • #26
Couple of thoughts:

1. The Viper spec T56 is definitely stronger. But I haven't heard of anyone breaking a "regular" T56 lately, even with 700+ horsepower. And the Viper spec costs quite a bit more.

2. I can't justify the T56's extra gear. It would be slightly better on the highway, that's about it. Other than the cool factor, the extra overdrive below 6th is not really worth much to me -- I'd shift out of 4th at about 128 mph, and I don't drive that fast on the street or on the track.

So I'm leaning towards the TKO600, because it's cheaper. The ratios on the TKO500 may be better, but I'm concerned about the strength of the input and mainshafts on the 500.

Dave
 

Grn92LX

Fidanza Man!
Founding Member
Jan 14, 2001
6,819
64
129
New York
Aug 2, 2004
#27
  • Aug 2, 2004
  • #27
Hairy, you can get the tko500 with the 26 spline input shaft. I beleive its a $30 option? With your 280rwhp car, I dont think you have anything to worry about. You'll probably be a touch faster too with the 500 over the 600 with the batter 1st gear ratio. Its rated at 500 ft/lbs and your no way near that. Like I said, i'm buying a used tko and its rated at 450 ft/lbs I beleive. Should be more than enough for the 400rwhp 347 I have planned. To each their own Happy choosing lol
 
B

baglock1

The Bartender
Founding Member
Aug 25, 2001
6,612
1
78
Space Coast, FL
Aug 2, 2004
#28
  • Aug 2, 2004
  • #28
HairyCanary said:
Couple of thoughts:

1. The Viper spec T56 is definitely stronger. But I haven't heard of anyone breaking a "regular" T56 lately, even with 700+ horsepower. And the Viper spec costs quite a bit more.
Click to expand...

Well, I suppose it's a relative issue, but I wouldn't consider $500 a lot of money, especially for an extra 110 lb/ft of rated capacity. But the point is moot if you don't ever plan on reaching those levels.

HairyCanary said:
2. I can't justify the T56's extra gear. It would be slightly better on the highway, that's about it. Other than the cool factor, the extra overdrive below 6th is not really worth much to me -- I'd shift out of 4th at about 128 mph, and I don't drive that fast on the street or on the track.
Click to expand...

For a street/strip car, I'd have to agree with you whole heartedly. Unless there's lots of highway miles involved and you want to run some pretty low gearing, the extra gear is really just a pimperiffic mod. But there are other aspects of performance driving out there. Opentracking for instance, is a venue where that extra gear could come in handy, and is one of the reasons I plan on getting the Viper spec tranny for my GTS. Another reason being the twin turbo stroker motor that will be residing in front of it.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,325
18,049
224
Massachusetts
Aug 2, 2004
#29
  • Aug 2, 2004
  • #29
HairyCanary said:
"Stock" is a joke . And I'm planning ahead -- even if my T-5 weren't already coming apart, I am planning to make more than enough power next year to take care of it for good.

Dave
Click to expand...


Well i read that your GT was stock in your sig so i thought you were making this tranny choice for a stock GT.

Modded should have no prob with the gearing
 
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

D
Rockers, lash adjusters and timing: help with parts (4.6 2v)
  • dvigAtel
  • Nov 1, 2025
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
0
Views
321
Other Auto Tech Nov 1, 2025
dvigAtel
D
S
Fox '87 GT can't get to stay running
  • spilly
  • Mar 29, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
27
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
spilly
S
P
Air Fuel ratio bung location.
  • Praetorious
  • Feb 7, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
39
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Feb 11, 2026
Noobz347
Cobra Brake Conversion - Spare Wheel/Tire Search
  • AeroCoupe
  • Aug 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
393
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 2, 2026
AeroCoupe
8
Electrical Crank-no start ... no spark ... no injector pulse, was it something I did? (redux)
  • 85gtCOBRA
  • Oct 28, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
633
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Oct 29, 2025
85gtCOBRA
8
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?