Whining noise from transmission (4R70W) or rear end gears?

isjoining

Mar 28, 2007
Orlando, FL
Whining noise from transmission (4R70W) or rear end

I have a whining noise in 1st and 2nd gear when accelerating from a stop or slow roll and it stops when it reaches 20mph and switches to 3rd or 4th (OD). I believe its coming from the transmission but could it come from the rear gears also? The gears are the stock 3.27 so I doubt it's that. No whining noise in park or neutral. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a whining noise in 1st and 2nd gear when accelerating from a stop or slow roll and it stops when it reaches 20mph and switches to 3rd or 4th (OD). I believe its coming from the transmission but could it come from the rear gears also? The gears are the stock 3.27 so I doubt it's that. No whining noise in park or neutral. Any ideas?

My 2003 GT auto whines in first gear only when accelerating.
It's always done it.

It kind of sounds like the sound effects in the Star Trek series on TV.

It only does it in first and my sisters Crown Vic with 100,000+ miles on it does the same thing and always has.

well did some further "testing" and it only makes the whine in first from a stop and slow roll, it will make the whine in 2nd but only when its around 18-20mph. So im guessing its normal for the 4r70w to make the whine in 1st? Was yours loud?

Without actually hearing it, my guess would be the valve body in the transmission. I don't want to say it is normal but it won't hurt anything. It is kind of a common thing. One of my 4R70W's valve bodies does whine, I would take a video of it but that valve body is not in the car.

I have an 01 gt, makes the same noise between 1st and second gear in low revolutions... though mine sounds more like a grinding noise, however i talked to a mechanic about it when i had my transmission redone and he said it was normal and the sound was due to the synchronizers. btw this was a mechanic from crossroads ford... so i guess he knew what he was talking about..

going to revive this thread. Didn't have much time to take it to someone to look at it, so I still don't know whats wrong with it as its still making the whining noise.

Here is a video I took, the whining noise is louder in person, but you should be able to hear it in the video.

YouTube - weird noise

any suggestions?

Hmm, that kinda sounds like a straight cut gear in like a conservative racing dog-box transmission. I can't really tell where it's coming from but that could be rear end whine - I've never heard it so i wouldn't know. Maybe it's time to replace the tranny fluid with some Mercon V and a transmission cooler up front will save you a rebuild in the future.

its ur pulleys i have a whining also mines loud enough to here over my flowmasters sounds like a turbo spooling some people say it comes from the power steering which in fords tends to whine but i found it was my pulleys that were making the noise.

its ur pulleys i have a whining also mines loud enough to here over my flowmasters sounds like a turbo spooling some people say it comes from the power steering which in fords tends to whine but i found it was my pulleys that were making the noise.

then wouldn't it make the noise when the car is in neutral or Park?

It only makes noise when the car is in gear and accelerating.

These are the planetary gears whining, there are no synchros in this trans. Auto's use clutches, bands and one-way clutches to control a planetary gearset. Must be something to do with the way they cut these gears. When you go into 3rd, the planetary gears stop spinning in relation to each other and turn as a solid mass more or less. In Overdrive (4th) they turn again but the pinions are now walking around a stationary gear and the little sungear that was driving away in 1st and 2nd (as well as 3rd but in direct drive then so whining effect would not be there) gets driven and is not under a load. Gotta be the planetaries in the transmission. Taught trannies for 31 years and these for the last 10.